F*$@!%g Leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drew Gemma, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been at this game for while now and this has to be the worst fall I have ever seen. Everyday the wind is at 20+mph and at night and early mourning it rains. Then No matter what set up or approach I use it just never gets it done fast enough. I mean I hate chasing leaves around it is so F-ing stupid. Then you give ppl a price and they come up with all kinds of motivation to do it themselves. I think next year I am gonna aerate more and then just mow till it is done. Sub all my leaf crap to someone who has the patience and the desire to mess with leaves. I want 75 an hour to do leaves plus disposal.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just quit doing the one-time clean to perfection jobs.

Systematic or forget about it....

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

We are just starting with leaves here and are running into the same problemS.Its either too wet or too windy and the wind is never blowing the way you need it.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we have been dealing with the same problem for the past 2 weeks:angry:

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Fall clean-up is a piece of cake with the right equipment and a very good money maker. I'll take leaves over grass mowing any day.......

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I just hit my regulars every 2 weeks while the leaves are falling, clean them up, and move on..... The detailed clean-up is after the leaves are all down.....

I don't look for one time clean-ups.....for the above reasons.

Derek

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

this year has been pretty bad in regards to the wind

8. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

We had it great here, 60s and sunny, very little wind, but with that said, Its supposed to snow on Monday, so theres a chance we wont finish everything this fall, unless it warms up again after the snow. I dont think anyone has it easy, fall cleanups are a pain in the azz.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Wise advice from Envy. Leaf "control" to keep them manageble is one one thing. Trying to make it looked vaccumed is impossible, especially with a breeze and more leaves falling.

I mulch them on the lawn bi-weekly till they stop falling in large amounts and the trees above are empty. Then over the winter do "cleanups" out of beds and such at my leisure. You can't really clean up all the leaves anyway till the neighbors have done theirs. They just blow in from next door.

Even then I still hate them.

10. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i hate leaves, i just did a lawn the guy owns about two acres he told me to just do the front yard and around the back patio, it took me so long to complete, the wind kept blowing the leaves from the back yard where the guy didnt want me to clean back into the flower beds.... i hate cheap people!!!!!!