F250 Diesel towing question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scott's turf, Oct 7, 2002.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I plan to tow an excavator (11,000 lbs) and on its trailer (3500 lbs?) with my 92 F250 7.3 Diesel. I know this is a very heavy load. I will obviously have electric brakes, but is this doable? I have to go quite a distance, about 1.5 hr trip. Thanks for your responses.
    -Scott

2. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Open up the drivers door and look at the GVWR of your truck. It should be on the i.d. tag somewhere. That rating is truck/trailer and load. So unless your truck only weighs about 600lbs, I'd say you need to get a bigger truck.

My F350 has a GVWR of 10,500lbs. And it's a dually. So I would need a bigger truck as well.

I think a real dangerous situation that comes up a lot and many folks don't stop to think about it, is when you're going around a corner and you let off on the gas, but don't need to hit the brakes. The big load behind you wants to go straight and you don't have enough rubber on the road to keep pulling it behind you. Many times it'll merrily sail off in a straight line and your truck will get dragged along in a jack-knifed position. That's what happened to me causing me to learn my lesson. And at the time, my trailer/truck combo was NOT over the GVWR of the truck, but it was running real close. That truck had single rear wheels and this is one of the areas where duallies have advantages.

3. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

My F-250 Crew Cab PSD has a GVWR of 8,800 lbs. Wet, with tools and me and one other in the cab, I assume for arguments sake that the weight of my truck is 7,500 lbs. I will assume for a minute that you are towing using a gooseneck hitch, therefore approximately 20 - 25 % of the total weight of the loaded trailer is on the pin. 14,500 x .20 = 2900. Add that to my 7500 and I'm at 10,400 or 1,600 over my GVWR.

With a bumper pull setup I believe that 10-15% of the weight is on the hitch which yields a hitch weight (15% used) of 2175 which puts me 875 over GVWR.

4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I looked at Fords site and the 7.3 diesel F250 has a GCWR of 20,000 and can tow 12,500 lbs. My truck is not turbo though. My friend said they towed it all the time with the F350 dualy and that has all the same specs. Not sure if it is too risky.

5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

In both scenarios above, I would be below my GCWR, but above my GVWR. If I were to be the responsible party in an accident towing that load and over my GVWR but under my GCWR, I would still have trouble (not be covered) as I would be violating the GVWR of the truck.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Your better off getting a equipment mover to move the machine for you or a tow truck outfit with a heavy duty rollback truck it will be cheaper in the long run. That load you plan on pulling with your F-250 is gonna way exceed whats safe if you say the machine weighs 11,000lbs.

If this machine has steel tracks I would find a tow truck company that has a truck with a steel rollback deck I think if they showed up with a truck and a aluminum deck they wouldn't be too happy if you chewed up the aluminum.

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

This truck runs around 7000. Shipping weight on the F 250 set up is 6800.

small truck pic 1.jpg

8. Brickman

Here DOT takes truck weight rating, and trailer and adds them together. For the truck shown above and this trailer that puts me at 29,800. I get real dang close to that with 4 cars. Or 3 full size trucks.

trailer.jpg

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

There is a difference between what it can tow and what it can tow safely. The 7.3 even normally apsirated can easily pull that weight. Notice I saw pull. I could see using the truck to move the trailer and loader around the shop or work site. Even to move it down a short stretch of road. I would not consider towing that load in any kind of traffic or for any distance. The truck may have the power but it does not have the mass, transfered by wieight onto the tires, to control the load even with trailer brakes.

10. Brickman

Its been working for me. I can't afford a F 750 or FL 70 truck.