f250-f350 sloppy steering question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Nov 9, 2007.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Guys i just got an 02 F350, The steering is the only thing that bothers me about the truck it seems real sloppy (alot of play) in it. Ive done a little bit of research and found that some people have replaced the stock steering stabilizer and its helped out a bunch. Ive got one on order as we speak. But have any of you noticed or done anything to "tighten" your spongy steering? THanks

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

if the previous owner did alot of off roading, then that will have. I hope you got the dual steerin stabilizer. it makes it perfect. and looks great.

3. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

Is it only when you are driving or does it seem sloppy when you turn the wheel back and forth at a stop. A stabilizer will not help in this case. it will only hide the real problem. check the links and the power steering box where it is bolted to the frame. Fords also chew up ball joints. jack up the front of the truck and put your hands at 12 oclock and 6 oclock on the tire. then pull the tire back and forth with opposing force. If the ball joints are bad, you will see feel them moving and hear a click.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Take it to the alinement shop and have the front end checked. You got to remember you have a mono beam axle so if your toe in or any thing else is out of whack the truck will wander. Tires also make a truck wander.

A steering stabilizer is to prevent the death wobble if you never experienced it before you should :laugh:

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Excessive play could show signs of wear in ball joints. Ford's ball joints aren't the best and are known to go bad more often than other makes. Not an expensive fix, but definately one that should be done. Take it to an alignment shop and have them take a look at it, I'd put money on the ball joints.