f250 superduty ball mount size

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CTmower, Apr 17, 2008.

1. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Just picked up a 2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty and im just wondering what size ball mount drop i need to get..I know i need atleast a 2" ball for my trailer but im a little off as far as what drop to get. The truck seems pretty high so i was thinking a 4" drop would work good. Just wondering what everyone else has as far as drop goes for the ball mounts. thanks

2. TKLAWN

TKLAWN LawnSite Member

What size trailer are you pulling, how many axels?

3. CTmower

from CT

14ft open single axle, but i might be looking into getting a 12-14 ft single axle enclosed

4. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Depends. Four wheel drive trucks sit higher than 2wd. I have a 2wd and it needs about a 2 inch drop for my 12ft single axle trailer. My bosses 4wd sits about 3-4 inches higher. Hope this helps.

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

a 2 inch should be plenty. if you had a 350 then 4 inch drop.

6. CTmower

from CT

i have a f250 super duty 4x4
    seems a little high to only use a 2" drop

7. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a stow and go hitch off ebay for 180 dollars. It goes up and down 10 inches and has all three ball sizes on it. I use a lot of different trailers so it has payed off. The only problem is that it drags when backing up a hill and on curbs frequently when the bed is loaded. I wish I had gone with the 6 inch drop model.

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

You should take an actual measurement of your trailer's coupler height and your truck's hitch height. You want the trailer to sit basically level---especially if you don't have trailer brakes. If the front of the trailer is high it will take weight of the rear axle of the truck when you brake and, under heavy braking, can cause the back of the truck to pass the front of the truck.

9. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

KLC is right. Set the trailer on its jack with the tongue level or just a little up at the hitch. Then measure from the bottom of the 2x2 receiver on the truck to the bottom lip of the ball socket on the trailer. That should give you a drop number. We pull several trailers and an air compressor, so we have combo hitches in 2", 2 5/16 and pintle. Walmart has Reese products, and UHaul sells trailer stuff, too.

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

ive had plenty of 250's and always used a 2 inch. 4 inch was to low. unless the previous owners put any heavier springs on it.