f250 to an f350

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mcgruff, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

I have an 02 f250 v10, and am thinking of looking at buying an f350 v10 for more hauling capacity. The price diff. appears minimal.

my questions are:
    1. Going from a 250 to a 350, is there a big decrease in gas milage?
    2. Is a cdl needed?
    3. How much more payload am i able to handle by upgraded to a bigger truck?

Thanks for you help.
  2. zMaster225

zMaster225 LawnSite Member

Minimal decrease in mileage most likely, CDL not needed I don't think, and you'll probably be able to tow a little more. Same engine, but suspension and frame are stronger. I wouldn't spend much to upgrade to the 350, your 3/4 frame will handle most landscaping needs no problem
  3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

unless your goin to a dually theres no difference but the springs in the rear.
  4. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

I am going to stay with the single rear wheel.

is there a big diff as to how much weight I can put in the bed between the two?
  5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to stick with a single rear wheel F350, don't bother even upgrading. The differences are as follows- tires, a spacer block in the rear, the GVWR sticker, and the badge on the fender. That's it. Everything else is the same. If you go to a DRW F350, springs and frame are beefier IIRC.

The factory difference in payload between a SWR F350 and an F250 is less than 1000 lbs., mostly due to heavier rated tires on the F350. For the same payload capacity on your F250, install some Timbrens or other helper springs and bigger tires.
  6. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

easy enough.....you made that a simple decision...i think i will keep my f-250.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

There is very little difference so why go to a F-350 unless its a dually.