1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

F250 Transmission (auto) rough shift

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by conepile, May 9, 2003.

1. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

I have a 2002 4x4 F250 (V-8) with automatic transmission that just started shifting hard. Whether just going from park to drive or during upshifts, it jerks into the next range. This happend for one day last year and then stopped. Now it has happened again and has been for a few days. It reminds me of some older vehicles that shifted bad when vacuum lines went bad.

Before I take it to the dealer for warranty service (where they will want to keep it for a day to look at it, and longer if there is a significant issue), has anyone else experienced this, and what was the problem? If not, any thoughts on what is wrong? I'll take it to the dealer, but it is such a pain in the rear, since I need my truck, and the dealer won't give me a loaner, since I declined one of the finance options (I think it was credit insurance, or something else I didn't want or need).
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 02 P/S, have 30,000 miles on it, and twice it has done something like that, really hit hard going from 1st to second, both times it was under a load, never has done it empty
  3. micromike

micromike LawnSite Member
    from SW/PA

Some Auto transmissions have vacuum lines that are part of the shifting process. Make sure all vacuum lines and any other hoses are all connected. They usually plug into the manifold on top of the engine and into the modulator valve on the transmission. vacuum modulator valve that is part of the shfiting process and it simply screws into a port on the outside of the t-case. At lease it used to be that way. With new electronic stuff it may be an issue with the computer but I would check for lose or disconnected lines anyway.

Best bet after a thurough check for hoses, lines etc. is Call jFord and see if there is a
    "Service Bullitin" for your year and make of truck with regard to hard shifting transmissions. It may be something they are aware of and can guide you to the fix. Good Luck