F250 V8 or v10

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bobbyg18, Jul 12, 2006.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

ive tested two f250 v8's, and one f250 v10...the v8's are priced $20,699 (2003) and $20,999 (2002)...the v10 is at $19,500 Lauriat edition (2002)...

all three have similar mileage between 35K-43K and all drive well and have the towing package...however the V10 has a crew cab the v8's both have extended cabs, i really like the crew but will the extra power be too costly (that is my question)

is the price lower becuase of the rising cost of gas worldwide?...

i will be towing a Bobcat (6200 lbs) and a trailer rated 10,000 #s

any advice?

2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I hope you know that many dealers are selling 2006 V8 4x4 for $23K-24K. I would say a diesel is best for pullin you can get a good used one for under $25K or a new one for $30K.

3. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

depending on what you want to spend on gas go with the v8 it will be much cheaper in the long run.

4. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

cheapest ive seen new is at least 30K...with no options...

this will be my primary vehicle also...

i will hopefully be towing 2-3 days per week as this will be a part time business...

5. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Come get one out here they're going for $26K with plows or $23K without!!

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the V10. The V8 will move your load but as long as you have a light foot the V10 should not get any worse mileage.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with that to a point. CC V10 vs. CC V8 towing, the V10 probably will do no worse on fuel, and maybe better. CC V10 vs. SC V8 towing, probably still won't be much difference. But without the trailer I wouldn't be surprised if the V8 wouldn't do a couple mpg better.

Really, every truck is different. One truck might get a mile or two per gallon better mileage than an almost identical truck. You never can tell. :hammerhead:

On a side note, I never remember hearing anyone with a V10 saying they wished they had bought a V8. I've heard a few with V8's say they wish they had gone for the V10. If you are towing regularly, it's about the biggest bargain on the option list.

8. sefh

sefh LawnSite Member

I own a 99 F250 SD w/V10 extended cab and I would never change my mind. Gas mileage is only how you drive the truck.

9. GET THE V10! The v8 is fine if your not pulling any weight but once you start pulling it sucks down the gas. The V10 will actually give you better mpg when your pulling and and have plenty of power.The V8 is a dog pulling any significant weight. The V10 will have plenty of power. Watch out though,one of the years, and it may be 2002 the V10 have a tendency to spit out spark plugs. Check into that first. Heres a link to check out.

http://www.ford-trucks.com

10. notoriousDUG

notoriousDUG LawnSite Member

In all reality you are not loking at enough truck for your application, and fuel economy is going to be a false savings.

While the gasser is going to be less then an oil burner in initial purchase in the long run you are going to pay more for fuel and maintnenance. As soon as you hook a trailer of any wieght to the back of that gas motor it is going to kill the fuel economy.

Plus the 250/350 is seriously underbraked in the rear if you plan on pulling any kind of load, they will destroy rear pads and rotors, warp front rotors and just generally stop for poop with a load. Even using Motorcraft pads it is a regular occourance to see the friction material debond and cause the pads to go metal to metal on one rotor. This usually happens on the piston side of the caliper and then causes you to loose a caliper as well.