F250 with 256K miles

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by spcfoor, Aug 31, 2006.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I found a 2000 F250 with 256K miles on it. It is a 4 x 4, crew cab, gooseneck, long bed, desiel 7.3 powerstroke. Would you be scared to buy this? It is 14,000

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Heck yeah I would be, and esp at that absurd price!! AT 256K miles that truck is past Ford's/IH expected life of 250K miles.....not to mention the wear that that mileage has also caused to 100's of other working/moving parts.

Shoot man I bought a 2005 F350, Diesel Super Duty Super Crew Dually with only 29K miles and only paid $27K......

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

No way on this one, especially for the price. It hs a gooseneck, so you know it has towed almost all of those miles. I would look elsewhere.

4. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advise

5. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

Just out of curiousity, what is the right price for this vehicle?

6. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Given the mileage, I wouldn't be interested in it at any price. Now I know some Powerstrokes do last considerably longer, but the averages aren't there. And it can be an expensive vehicle to work on. Personally I wouldn't give $6000 for it - but that's just me.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd buy that truck, but not for $14,000. It's worth about $8,000 at most and I'd probably give them $6,000. If you put $3K into the truck it would go for another 100K before needing work. If the price is right, buy it, put some money into it, and drive it.

8. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have a 99 F-250 4x4 6spd powerstroke with 315K that still runs like a champ. Im trying to get $7500 for it.

9. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Idon't buy trucks with over 75K on them and the price he's asking is absurd.:hammerhead:

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Does he have maintnence records for that truck? has anything been replaced or rebuilt.

the owner of 1 of the dealers I buy stuff from has an 00 f350 7.3 diesel. He has owned it since it was brand new. He pulls a 5th wheel camping trailer and he and his family love to travel and do the rv thing (even though its only a trailer).
    He installed an s2000 oil bypass filter on it and the engine runs perfect. It has 291k on the orignial engine, trans and everything. Its literally in perfect mechanical condition. I talk to the guy every time I am at the dealer and I am always interested to here how its doing. Though, I usually only see him in the fall, and winter because he travels alot during the summer.
    BTW, his oil change interval is 17,000 miles.