1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

F350 Diesel Maint.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by sgallaher, Apr 13, 2005.

1. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 99 F350 4x4 with the 7.3L Diesel engine. What is the best kind of motor oil to use in this engine and how often do you guys change the oil? Any other maintenance suggestions would be great. Thanks.
  2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Shell Rotella T is what most of the diesels like to run around here. I believe the weight is 15W40.

I just read a story of a Ford E-350 with a 351 gasser that has 460,000 miles on the original engine. It said the people used the Rotella oil in the gas engine and it has never burned oil and still runs strong.
  3. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

Damn!! 460,000! I better start using that oil. :)
  4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

smalltimer is right i have a 99 PSD and use rotella T 15W40 in it and have never had a problem... even seems to last longer between changes than other stuff does... ive always used it from day and havent used anything else.
  6. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

by the way change it every 5k and the fuel filter every 15k
  7. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

that's what i use 204K
  8. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

ive used that and now ive been using jhon deere plus 50 i like it a lot ,,,,,,,i like that i can get it in 55 gallon barrels
  9. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Rotella is a great oil. I used Amsoil 15W40 synthetic in my diesel though, and gained about 1.5 miles per gallon - actually that was after switching all the gear boxes over to synthetic also. It is more expensive, but I doubled my mileage between changes (10,000 instead of 5,000) so it kind of equaled out. You certainly won't go wrong with Rotella.