1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

f350 diesel running sluggish

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kings of Green LLC, Feb 27, 2013.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

If the turbo was bad he wouldn't even see forth gear. Those things are gutless without any turbo boost.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Kings of Green LLC

Kings of Green LLC LawnSite Member

hey guys up date on my f350 i know its cold out but even plugged in it is hard to start and smokes more than normal when it does start. im thinking injectors
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty normal in winter. What type of heater are you running? Faulty glow plugs? Oil too heavy? Is it still being a dog after fully warmed? Not what you want to hear, but it sounds more like a pump than the injectors.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Usually if the high pressure oil pump fail you will have a no start:waving:
  5. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it could be several things.

First thing I would do is make sure the glow plug relay is functioning properly. Normally the relay is the root of all your problems.

When you are cranking on it, do you get white smoke out of the exhaust? If you are, then you are definitely good on HPO and injectors, and need to go ahead and check your glow plugs if your relay checks out good.

Next thing you need to check is fuel pressure, and it never hurts to change the filter.

Also, DO NOT run rotella for oil. Rotella kills the HEUI injectors in these trucks. switch to valvoline, and run 5w40 instead of 15w40. Your truck will be way quieter and smoother.
  6. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

what color is the smoke? that will start to pinpoint the problem
  7. jones68

I had a problem with my dodge hard starting lots of white smoke (means not enough fuel or too much air) after starting she would idle rough and had little power. turned out to be an air leak in the fuel heater. it was allowing the fuel to flow back towards the tank at night when shut off.
  8. slowleak1

White smoke is unburned fuel. White smokes indicates you are getting fuel but it is not getting burned before it exits the cylinder. Diesels generally can not have too much air in stock form. 7.3's dont have a fuel heater, and even if it did and there was a leak in the fuel system, it would result in no smoke, not white smoke.
  9. jones68

I will politely disagree with you. A quick Internet search will show white = not enough fuel black = too much fuel
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. slowleak1

And the internet is always right, eh?

Explain this, what exactly is the white smoke? It's either oil or diesel. You pick.