f350 diesel running sluggish

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kings of Green LLC, Feb 27, 2013.

1. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

I know what I saw and what fixed my problems man your right I'm wrong
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for admitting that.

3. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include
    Faulty or damaged injectors
    Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).
    Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)
    When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

4. slowleak1

Expensive mechanical repair? You listed all worst case scenarios, half of which arent even plausible for this situation.

Something as simple as a bad glow plug relay could be to blame. Don't go scaring the man into thinking he needs to spend money that he doesnt really need to spend.

If the white smoke goes away when the truck is warmed up, it is simply because the cylinders are hot enough to combust the fuel in them. Hence why he would get white smoke on a cold start, caused by glow plugs not HEATING the cylinder properly.

5. Monroe74

Yup very true slow very true
    The expensive repair only pertained to head gasket repair.

6. slowleak1

Everything else listed isnt exactly cheap either...injectors, $2k, timing issues, $850 on up, cylinder issues $1500 on up.

My point is, it is free to check GPR and GP's, and 99% of the time is the culprit for hard/cold starts in 7.3's.

7. Monroe74

Yeah unless your unlucky enough to get a truck with the California gpr . I was only adding too what you already noted.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

So have we made progress. These guys are worked into a lather over it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Monroe74

Think maybe the exhaust back pressure valve is stuck closed? Or a tear in a turbo boots?

10. slowleak1

I would lean towards EBPV. Tear in the boots would make some racket, although the OP might not know any different if it has been this way a while