F350 diesel won't start

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Markf, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Gentlemen,
    We have a 99 F350 diesel, 4x4, auto, 85,000 miles. One week ago, the engine bucked taking off from a stop sign. Similar to being in 5th gear doing 10mph. Floored the pedal and it cleared itself. Just now, same symptoms, however, it will not start. Turns over with no problem but will not ignite. Batteries seem fine. We disconnected both batteries for 10 minutes to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Mark

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

probably your CPS, I have one for sale :)

3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What does the tach register when cranking? If it's not moving most likely it's a CPS like Wriken said. Did you get a CEL when it started bucking?

4. Markf

What a quick response. Thanks. But what is a CPS and CEL? I am new to this. What is the $ for the CPS?
    Mark

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not as familiar with Fords as I am Dodges with cummins, but, make sure you are getting fuel. Check/change the fuel filter as a starting point. Im assuming a CPS is high pressure fuel pump?

6. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

CPS is Cam Position Sensor, A common fault of PSD, many people will keep an extra in the truck.

7. Ironmower

Ironmower LawnSite Member

Definitely sounds like a CPS to me as well. It's good insurance to keep a spare in the glove box.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ohhh, why didnt you say so lol. Cummins has faulty ones too.

9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

CEL = check engine light. I was asking about the CEL because if your IPR (injector pressure regulator) is not working right it would also cause a no start.

10. Markf

We tried this AM to start the truck. No luck. The tach register only about two to three hundred RPM. There were no other lights that stayed on. My son does not recall if the CEL was on our not when it started to buck. Thanks.
    Mark