F350 Dump or F250 regular box?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ryan41, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to be purchasing a used truck for the 2014 season. I need some opinions on what to get? I currently have a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 with 180k on it. Runs great, but it is getting up there in miles & i am looking for a bigger truck as my business is growing. I have about 20-25k to spend on a truck. We mainly do maintenance and light landscaping. I can't decided between a F350 Diesel Dump or a F250 Diesel regular box?
  2. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

As long as its not a personal truck too I'd go with a dump without question. You'll be surprised how much more convenient it will be.
  3. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO full size f350 dump trucks are pointless due to not being able to carry that much weight. If you want a full size dump I suggest looking at getting a 450 or 550 size so you will not be constantly overloading that truck. Another option is to get the 250 and tow a dump trailer. This is what I did for years until I absolutely needed a dump. Dump trailers are way cheaper to run and can carry more legally as well.
  4. rdwittmann

rdwittmann LawnSite Member

I am looking at the same thing. I think it depends on your needs. I was leaning toward a dump over a larger pick-up. But, after seriously looking at our business and the diverse things that we do, I have decided to go with a flatbed diesel with tool boxes on the side. I probably have to add the boxes to whatever I get. But, that kind of set-up should meet towing needs and allow me to carry all of my tools and materials. Just depends on your needs.
  5. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the opinions. I am leaning more towards a F250. I think a dump trailer would be better in the long run. I do have a personal car, so i save money on fuel & not racking up the miles on the truck. Would a F250 be big enough to haul a dump trailer?
  6. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

F250 Diesel will tow a dump trailer w/o problem
  7. mlavin73

mlavin73 LawnSite Member

I tow my 6 X 10 dump trailer with sides built up on it with no problem with my F250. I don't carry very heavy stuff though. I may have a load of leaves or mulch (7 or 8 yards). I never haul dirt or stone. My F250 is the gas motor with the 5.4 and does fine with it. My uncle has an f250 diesel and a 7X14 dump trailer and that truck will pull anything he seems to throw at it. He primarily uses it for firewood and occassional large scrap metal projects.
  8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

F350 dump for me.
  9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Both are a pain to live with as an only truck but I would end up with the 1 ton. Good luck finding a used one though. I looked for a long time. They are out there but for what guys want for the things it didn't make sense to buy used.
  10. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Get you a nice F-550 dump or a F-350 P/U and dump trailer. Don't waste your time with a 350 or 450 dump truck.