1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

F350 fluid changes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Gene $immons, May 18, 2003.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 1988 F350 diesel powerstroke truck. I was wondering how many miles between the changing of its fluids & Etc.

Brake Flush?

Differential fluid?

Power Stearing?

Air Filter?

Fuel Filter?

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

In 88 the 7.3 hasn't yet became a powerstroke.

brake flush--when you put new brakes on

trans-when fluid smells burnt,or srarts shifting funny,change filter too.

diff-drain water out and a little every now and then.

ps-add as needed

fuel--diesel ???

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I do yearly on the tranny and differential of my F-350 (96'). Change the oil around 7K (ouch, 15 quarts in that pan). Fuel filter every other oil change. Air filter whenever it's needed (maybe 2X a year). Haven't had to change or replace any power steering fluid so far.
  4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Gene, you'll get a bunch of different opinions on how and when to maintain your truck, so here's mine: Everything is going to depend on how you drive your truck. I assume this is an automatic. If you do a bunch of stop & go in-town driving, I'd change it every 15000 to 20000 miles or so. If you do a lot of highway driving, I'd stretch that to 25000 - 30000 miles. I strongly disagree with waiting to change it when it smells burnt - it's too late then. But if it's never been changed, I wouldn't change it now. More problems seem to pop up right after a transmission that is way overdue is finally serviced.
    I would say the differential(s) should be serviced around every 30,000 miles. Maybe a little sooner if you pull heavy loads quite a bit. Brake flush ought to be every 1 - 2 years. (Hint - you can buy Valvoline synthetic Dot 3-4 fluid that works real well) Engine coolant ought to be changed at least once a year - especially in the Ford diesel - don't forget your anti-cavitation agent. (Another hint - Rotella has a pre-mixed coolant out that has the anti-cavitation agent added in.) As for oil, every 3000 miles if you drive mostly in-town, up to about 10,000 miles for mostly highway. I run a synthetic oil, and do mostly highway driving so I have no fear of going 10,000 miles between changes. Power steering I'd just keep an eye on, maybe change it every couple of years (And another hint - a turkey baster works real well for getting the old fluid out).
    Good luck to you.

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Randy and others. I just had to spend a small fortune on the truck for letting it get past due on several items. I will try preventive maintenance this time around.