f350 tranny trouble

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by terryswafford, Sep 15, 2008.

1. terryswafford

terryswafford LawnSite Member

I just bought a 2000 f350 auto 4x4 with 52000 miles. The other day I had to pull my 16ft trailer up a long steep drive. I pulled the auto tranny down in 1 and it would not pull up the hill. I put it back in drive and it had plenty of power. It would even spin the tires. Today I took it to the transmission shop and they checked it out and said it was fine. He said that the fords did that.Also when I am driving at a very slow speed I can downshift to 2nd and the rpms go up. Then I shift to 1st and nothing happens. I told the mechanic this and he still says nothing is wrong. This is my first f350 so I don't know if it is normal or not. I was hoping tha someone was familiar with this and would give me some insight. Does this sound normal?????

Thanks

Terry Swafford

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Something sounds kinda weird. Those 4R100 trannys are ok but not the best for towing long term. go to www.fordtrucks.com/forums and ask in there. You should definitly get some help over there!! Good Luck.

3. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

You're better off to just put in "D" and let the tranny do the thinking for you.
    I made this mistake once except I thought I had put it in 1st and it was actually 2nd. I got to the top of a very small hill and it was hot. I looked down and discovered my mistake.

The collective over at FTE (ford-trucks.com) all said put it in drive and let the transmission decide what to do. I've followed that advice and never had a problem pulling a heavy load up steep inclines.

BTW-my truck is 2003 F350 CC LWB 4wd diesel with 4r100.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You need to only leave it in drive. Dont shift it.

5. terryswafford

terryswafford LawnSite Member

thanks to all