F450 fuel mileage.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by muddstopper, Feb 23, 2008.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

For those with F450 and the 6.4 diesel engine. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting. My truck is a 4x4 flatbed and auto tranny and is only getting 7.4 MPG. Seems kind of low to me, The truck only has 800 miles on it, but I am thinking it needs to go back to the dealer for a checkup.

I already know somebody will have something smart to say about it should of been a duramax. Well I traded a 4500 Dmax in with 14,000 miles for this ford so dont even get me started.

2. DiGiTLawncare

DiGiTLawncare LawnSite Member

I had a F450 12ft Flat Bed 2wd with the 6.0 in it. Best it ever saw was about 11. I was not to impressed at all. I have had powerstrokes forever but made the cummins swap for a while. But 7.4 seems really low the 6.4 are susposed to be better on fuel than the 6.0's were.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Diesel Fan here, that sounds average for a 4x4 4500 diesel, the new diesels have the (DPF) diesel particulate filters, among other EPA Mandated tier 3 emisson requirements that reduce fuel economy regardless of brand. The engine is new be patient, switch to a good synthetic engine oil that helps. Most likely you have 4:10 gears, these trucks are designed to work, measured in GVWR hauled. I always say if you can afford the note, you can afford the fuel. I feal your pain

4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have several friends that are farmers that have the new 6.4 PS and they all have commented on the mileage being bad. 7.4 MPG is just crazy, I would assume it will go up the more miles you get on it though.

5. LawnProLandCare

LawnProLandCare LawnSite Member

all the new diesels are taking a hit in the mpg department, thank the new emissions standards on diesels for that. also being the truck that it is it will have most likely AT LEAST a 4.10 gear ratio in it maybe even 4.30's... also with 800 miles on it your trucks still a new born but i dont think mpg gains will be extremely significant.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

My current 03 F-450 with 6.0 power gets 11 to 12 mpg which I'am happy about my 7.3 IDI and 7.3 PSD F-450s got the same mpg.

You are not going to get good mileage out of a heavy truck with lower gears.

The new emmisions motors are worse for mileage. If your buying a diesel for good mileage your barking up the wrong tree. The days of good mpg are gone same with class 8 trucks.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

We were getting 12MPG with a 12 foot flatbed, lift gate, and 100 gallons of diesel in an automatic 4x4 7.3 F450. They don't get very good mileage, but the 450's are built way strong.

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I tell you that sucks, my C7500 w/ cat and 10speed gets better than than and it weighs 16k unloaded.

9. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

That is at very best 8 miles per gallon but they do have lots of torque.:waving:

10. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

The best I have heard of anyone getting is like 11mpg.:dizzy: