1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

F450 or F250

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by queen of spades, Feb 16, 2013.

1. queen of spades

queen of spades LawnSite Member

I tow a small tractor now but am looking to upgrade to something that can pull a dump trailer or flat trailer with bobcat/mini ex.

Have a line on a couple of relatively low mileage vehicles - both older trucks (80s). I really like the F450 with the disc brakes on front and back, but the insurance is almost double what I pay for my current pull vehicle (Ranger v6, 4wd).

I usually prefer overbuilding but am wondering if the 450 is still just too much truck for my needs? Will a F250 pull a 7k bobcat and more importantly stop without rear-end puckering?

Both trucks I'm looking at are diesel.

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

A 250 would be fine to move that machine on a 10K trailer. Be sure to use the trailer brakes.

3. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

How many miles per year will you use the truck and what % of those mile will be towing ? Ford has really enlarged thier brakes over the years so if you are looking at a mid nintys 450 it would have about the same size brakes as a newer 250. Our insurance for some reason is cheaper on our 450 - 550 trucks than our pick up trucks, this is in part because our dumps only log 8 - 13 k per year and the pick ups are 15 - 25k per year