f550/450 owners with a v-10

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Chicago Landscapes, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Chicago Landscapes

Chicago Landscapes LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy either a f550 or a f450 this spring. It's going to be used mostly for hauling bulk materiels such as topsoil, compost, gravel, mulch and at most, once or twice a week towing a skid steer. Does anyone own a 550 or a 450 with the v10 engine? How do they perform when carrying serious weight? I have the 6.0 diesel engine in my 06 f350 and like it's power for towing and plowing. But two trips to the dealer with check engine light issues this year,the cost of the 6.4 engine,and the rising price of diesel fuel is making me look real hard at the v-10 since the truck won't be driven many miles annually. There was a discussion about the triton engine vs. the 6.4 in an earlier thread, but mostly about how they performed in pickups. Thanks-

2. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer just ordered 2 550s in my name one extra cab and one regular cab both with the V 10. My 550s only get 12- 15 k a yr on them. I m still up in the air over what to buy. Seriously looking at the switch and go on a heavier used chassis. A new v 10 550 auto and air with built in brake box is 27k for the chassis. Most guys are getting 8-10 mpg on these chassis and 10-12 mpg on the diesel.

3. Chicago Landscapes

What are you mainly going to be using it for? My dealer priced out a f550 with a 11ft. Knapheide dump v-10 4x2 for 37k, including rebates. For what I need it for,it seems like a good price for the amount of truck. The more I look at the gas mileage difference, it seems like a wash because of the cost of diesel fuel. I think it's only gonna keep on getting higher.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For that price you can't beat it. A V-10 powered F-550 2wd a basic XL I would be looking at 39,000 just for the cab and chassis then add a dump box 8 grand. Total on the truck would easily push 50,000.

As for the V-10 it is a cheap option and will do just as good as the diesel the 6.4 is a 9000 dollar option here in Canada. The 6.4 gets poor mpg and with the price of diesel fuel climbing higher.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

You need to look at the energy diesel fuel creates 147,000BTU vs 135,000BTU for gasoline,per gallon of fuel, also diesel fuel is a much denser fuel. I switched to diesel two years ago, back when gasoline was $1.87 per gallon. I just looked at my 07 fuel costs a savings of $1,500 per month, thats with diesel's current price $3.85, and the price of gasoline two years ago, with business growth included. You cannot take the "face pump price" of diesel fuel, and just say diesel is too expensive, how uneducated can one get. Again local Pipe line is trading in it's Ford V-10's for diesel.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For us here when you factor in the cost of a 6.4 is 9000 dollar option in a F-550 you can buy alot of gas with 9000 dollars. The 6.4 gets the same mpg as the V-10 your looking at 10 mpg tops with a 6.4 or V-10.

A fully optioned F-350 dually 4x4 now in B.C. your looking at 80 grand with tax a bare bones basic diesel F-450 or F-550 cab and chassis your looking at 50 grand just for the chassis then add another 6 to 12 grand for the body.

In todays market it is not even worth buying a 1.5-2 ton truck made by Ford Chevy or Dodge. The light duty engines are strapped with poor fuel mileage and expensive. You are better off going with a medium duty truck put a switch and go body or some kind of rolloff body on it so you can get the body on the ground for easier loading.

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, how many trucks do you run, and what are your mileage figures that you use?

8. Chicago Landscapes

I was wondering the same thing...

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

one truck, I do right of way mowing, and tow a Kubota MX6800 4x4 tractor with loader & 6ft landpride rough mower & 30ft gooseneck. I was running three trucks 2 years ago, 98 Dodge B2500 van, 00 Dodge 2500, V8 gas burner, 02 Ford F-350 7.3L crew cab dually. I have since slowly downsized while maintaining the same amount of clients, buy selling off, Dodge 2500 van, F-350 7.3L dually, and the Dodge 2500 gasburner, and purchasing a 02 Dodge 2500 Cummins ISB 18,000 miles at purchase. I average 13-16MPG while towing city or highway with the Cummins. I contribute many factors to the fuel saving and lower cost of ownership: switching to the Cummins 5.9L ISB, AMSOIL fully synthetic 15w-40 12TBN heavy duty marine diesel oil, Amsoils Dual By-Pass oil filtration system with oil analysis at 20,000 mile intervals AMSOIL diesel fuel additives, to include AMSOILS HP Injector 2 Stroke oil TC-W3, added to every full tank of diesel for added lubrication. I tow 5 days a weeks during the summer season with extended engine idling up to 8 hrs a day, while on the right of way, I average over 20,000 miles a year. Labor cost is more of an issue than the price of fuel or equipment.

10. Chicago Landscapes

After doing a thread search on v-10's, it looks like the people who own 2005 and newer, are more than satisfied with their power for towing, hauling and even gas mileage. Going to three valves in 2005 considerably increased it's performance across the board. Thanks for your input-