F550 automatic ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bobcatexc, Jul 9, 2008.

1. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

If you go with a F550 with automatic transmission, does Ford have a auxiliary PTO for running hoist on dump beds. I know Chevy had this option when they came out with the new 4500/5500 with the Allision automatics, I didn't know about Ford. I do not want another electric hoist!

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

they should all have it.

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

why not just go with central hyd. run the pump off the engine instead of the trans.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The torqshift should have it.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what year F-550 your looking at. If its a 2003 and newer with the Torqshift yes it supposed to have a PTO opening. If it is older than a 2003 with the 4R100 you will need to run a clutch pump off the engine.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Mine has the cover plate, but no gears inside for it.

7. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

You would have to check the truck but have heard they have that option. You still have to buy the pump so there will be some money. Those electric hoists are lame(and very slow), aren't they?

8. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I don't know yet, I haven't dug into it yet to see if that's a option or not? I know the Chevy's have it on the Allisons. Gravelrat is the torqueshift standard on the trucks or a option.

I have a electric hoist on my current F450 not only slow, but every time you put a decent load on it and hit the button its like is it going to go or not, you can't load it up on the front of the truck or your screwed!

Electric hoist - Never again!!:nono:

9. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

My old boss had a F450 he bought brand new in 99 and it had the PTO on the auto tranny. It was one of the first ones or something, and he had to have it worked on a few times at first but no problems since. I've heard good and bad things about electric hoists. I have one on my 89 and have only overloaded it twice, both with about 6 tons, loaded wayyy to far forward. (We were hauling from point a to point b on the farm.)

10. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp LawnSite Member

Stay away from PTO's. Just run centrals on a fan belt system. Much much better.