F550 Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scott1965, Feb 17, 2007.

1. scott1965

scott1965 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of getting a F550 with a 12' Flatbed/hoist to replace my dump trailer. I'd also like to get some heavy duty aluminum equipment ramps and haul my skidloader on the F550 as well. Does anybody else do this? I think I'll be OK weight wise, but I'm not 100% sure. What will a 12' Flatbed weigh?
  2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i just got a 2000 f550 12' dump and it should haul a skidsteer no problem but ramps might not
  3. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Assuming you have a mid-size or small skidsteer..it will handle the weight no problem.

Full size..like 95Xt or 277B might be pushing it though.
  4. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

Scott1965 - Check your GVWR rating, it should be 17500 for 4x4 and I believe 19k for 2wd. Then go weigh your truck empty. It should weigh somewher around 10.5 k. Now subtract your GVWR from your empty weight and this is the weight you can put on your truck. For example:
    Truck GVWR 17500 - Empty weight 10500 = 7000lbs. If your skid is less than 7000 lbs, you should be ok. Just curious, is yours 4x4 or not? Isn't the bed height a tad bit high to safely be driving the skid on?
  5. scott1965

scott1965 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys.
    IHI - Are you saying the truck + flatbed should be around 10.5k? I haven't purchased one yet, but I'm sure it'll be 2wd. I was worried the bed would be too high, but I load it on a deckover trailer now, and this company makes ramps that I think would work. http://www.discountramps.com/bobcat_ramps.htm
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind you can tilt the deck to help loading the machine then drop the deck back down. If your going with wood decking the tires shouldn't slip if your going with smooth aluminum the tires will prolly slide.
  7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Never seen a skid on the back of a 550. seen plenty of guys towing them in dump trailers though
  8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I would strongly advise you not to do that!!!!
    You will need a truck with a 33K to 35K GVWR. to put a Skider on. You will end up twisting the frame, breaking the axle, and crushing the springs. F550 is a nice truck but it wouldn't hold up to what your going try to do with it.

Alum. ramps aren't heavy enough for a loading a skid load in the back of truck. And if you did make them out of steel they will be to heavy for you lift by yourself.

If you did do that send me pics.:)
  9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't recomend it, first off the you would have a high center of gravity for that light of a truck, second the brakes wouldn't be safe enough. If you do here is a idea put a transmission temp gauge on and a Exhaust tempature gauge on, and monitor them heavily while towing, Mine isn't safe at 52 MPH with O.D. off.
  10. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Another thing I forgot to add is that if you do get it on the back of the truck just fine and dandy. Wait for that first turn when those U-bolts holding on the bed on the truck shear and you spill your load off the side of the truck.