F650 7.3l Powerstroke opinions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Aug 1, 2012.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Found a nice truck. 7.3 with a 6 speed. Good price but what affect will have on resell value? The positive for me is I can work on the 7.3

Opinions?

2. AWJ Services

from Ga

I will add it is an extended cab, flatbed dump with less than 50k miles. less than 15,000 $. Really clean.

3. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have a f650 and can say I would not want a 7.3 powerstroke in it but all depends on what your hauling and doing with the truck.

4. AWJ Services

from Ga

Pulling my KX161.

What engine does yours have?

5. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a 550 dump with 7.3 and it was under powered. Id imagine it would be a dog in a 650.

6. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have the 6 cylinder Cat 300hp motor, forget at the moment what the engine model number is.
    The power strong is good hp which is perfect for a pickup but for a bigger truck torque is more important.
    Never driven one with a powerstroke or the cummins but from what I hear they are nice empty but weighted down no one likes them, resale might be hard since majority want the cat motor.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't IH use the 7.3 in a bunch of their big trucks........

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

International DT444

9. MOREDIRT

MOREDIRT LawnSite Member

I have a intl 4700 contractor dump with the 7.3 and 6 speed. It has plenty of power I pull a 25 ft pintle hitch trailer with 12k ex or large ctl with ease it hauls 10 tons in the bed as well. You can get a chip for the 4700 with the 7.3.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

we have a 7.3 in our F650. I'd go for it. Does it have a ton of power? No. Does it have adequate power? Yes. It's a solid and reliable. The Cat powered F650's have more balls but the 7.3 gets it done.