F650 Trucks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Jul 4, 2013.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Been looking for 6 months for a high hp auto truck. Finally found one that is a good fit for me. 2006 with Cummins isb and Allison. The dealer is converting it to a flatbed dump with a 14 foot dump. They will have too shorten the wheelbase whiule converting it. Any worries with that? It has airbrakes .

2. nismothunder

nismothunder LawnSite Member

Are you sure they will be shortening the wheel base and not just the frame?

If they are indeed shortening the wheel base then it will handle differently then it does now. For the better or worse is up too you. I don't know since I've never seen/ operatoed a shorty dump.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

We had it done on our f750 as long as the shop know what they're doing you'll be fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Second on the shop knowing what they are doing. I had a load of concrete in an 84 2300 IH single axle. I was headed to the dump, hit a bump in the road and the bolts sheared on the frame extension and my truck literally broke in half. Next thing I knew I was staring a the sky. Comical now, not so much at the time. Post investigation revealed poor workmanship on the frame extension.

5. AWJ Services

from Ga

It is a very large Freightliner dealer. The truck is currently a flatbed delivry truck with a long bed. It will have the bed removed , the wheel base shortened, frame cut off and the 14 foot flat bed dump added added. He said I could do a 16 foot if I wanted.

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

Well the truck ends up being a F750 with a Cat and the new dump bed is now used and the price went up 7k dollars. I guess I will keep looking.LOL