Fabric and stone.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TJLC, Feb 14, 2001.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

We are getting ready to put rock down in some areas around our house. I've read here to lay fabric down first when using stone. Why is this? What would happen if you didn't put fabric down before the stone? Thanks for any help. Also where do you get these staples I've been hearing about?

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Why fabric? Three words. Weeds, weeds, weeds. Fabric helps prevent them from growing into/through your beds. If you just lay stone the weeds will grow right through it.

As for the staples, I get them at a local turfgrass eqpt supplier, but you may not want this option if it's just for your house. My place only offers them by the box, and there's 500 or 1,000 in a box. Way more than you'd need for a residence. Might be better just toughing it out without fabric.

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

From a long-term maintenance perspective, the use of porous fabric under stone or gravel mulches will somewhat preserve the stone/soil interface. Without a fabric barrier, the vibrations of nature will gradually mix stone and soil, so repeated renewals over the years are required. You will still be building up soil above the fabric from detritus and vegetative decay, but this is a much slower process. With a fabric underlay, it will be much easier to remove the rock or stone when you decide it was a bad idea to put it there.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

IN MY OPINION FABRIC OR PLASTIC IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST WHEN INSTALLING STONE OR MULCH. I KNOW, I KNOW, THE WEEDS GROW IN THE MULCH, BUT MORE GROW IN THE SOIL IF U DONT PUT SOMETHING DOWN. I KNOW THAT IF I PAID ALOT OF MONEY TO HAVE SOMEONE PUT IN MULCH OR STONE, AND 3 WEEKS LATER THERE WERE WEEDS GROWING THRU, ID BE PISSED. BOB