fabric help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mgosser, Sep 15, 2006.

1. mgosser

mgosser LawnSite Member

I am needing some help finding and deciding which type of underlayment fabric to use. I have always used the Sam's brand, but it is seasonal and my business has grown and I am out. Would appreciate any help. I need contacts.
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

None at all.

I get more work from customers asking me to tear that crap out than putting it down. Weed fabric dont work anyway, why use it?
  3. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

Ditto. It may help a little but definitely not enough to justify the expense of it.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Well if the dress is a light color and sheer I would go with a white silk-----

Oh you are talking landscape fabric, sorry.
    Like has been stated, NONE. Mulch to the proper depth:)
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I guess you don't do any work with stone beds. I find it does help in stone beds...mulch beds yes its pretty much worthless.

I get mine out of costco and buy about 10-15 of the 400' rolls. Usually lasts me throughout the year. This year it didn't but I just go down to the landscape supply place and get it...problem is its about twice the cost.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

DeWitt. It's truely a fabric and will last for as long as you need it to last.

Up north it must be Ok to lay down mulch on the dirt. Here you can lay mulch 6" deep, dosn't matter, you will have a bed of weeds by July. If there's Bermuda around then the fabric won't even save you. Reguardless, it's still better to have the fabric than none at all.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you. I was just going to suggest a REAL fabric. you can go to costco, sam's home depot, or kmart and get that kind of stuff. But if you want to do the job right, go to a landscape supply and get the real stuff. Yes, there IS a HUGE difference. You get what you pay for. I put a bed in earlier this year, and the guy had already bought the fabric, as he was going to do it himself at first. He brought that out of the garage and I laughed. He was wondering what I was laughing at, and I just told him....I'm not using that stuff. When I brought in the real stuff, he saw the difference and said he was glad I spoke up. I told him not as glad as he'll be in 5 years.
  8. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

I only use Typar Heavy Grade. I order it from Fosters. I've put it down on lawns that are thick and long, and put stone over it. Ive never had any problems with anything coming through it. If it is a new bed with mulch, over topsoil, I wont use it, but if there is grass, and no need to remove the sod, Ill use it right over the sod. Also, it seems to be very easy to use,. some seem like they cut hard, and I ve also used some that the rolls aren't wound tight, making it harder to use.
  9. mgosser

mgosser LawnSite Member

Can I get some info on Fosters? Never heard of it.:)