fabric over mulch,, then remulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scott in the soo, Jun 8, 2004.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

have any of you guys ever done this... putting fabric over a current bed of mulch and then adding new mulch.. or should i remove all of the old mulch....

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

As long as there is no fabric under the existing mulch it shouldn't be a problem,If there is fabric under the existing mulch I would not add another layer of fabric.

3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Just did that today!!!! Works great

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

WHAT?!?!?!!????

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you are using rock mulch, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use fabric under the mulch. Organic mulches break down, and if there is fabric (or plastic for that matter) underneath, the mulch will not incorporate into the soil and will build up MUCH faster with the fabric than without.

Not to mention, the fabric does NOTHING to stop blown in weed seeds which is where most weeds germinate from after the second year. Once they germinate OVER the fabric, they will put roots down THROUGH the fabric, and make it a MAJOR PITA to pull them.

I can't believe you "experienced" guys would recommend putting fabric under mulch....

IT'S A HUGENO NO!!!!

Do I need to be any more clear?

Dan

5. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

u put it in and somebody else gets paid to rip it out in a couple of years...

can't tell ya how many times i've had to remove 'weed mat...'

-dave

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

7. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

D Felix...

Ditto.

Fabric/plastic is for harscapes.

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Did it at my own house this year. What a f'in mess.

Wish I knew this 8 years ago. Hell, wish I knew this 3 years ago. Another large area to do. Probably next year.

9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I second that with treegodfather and d felix. What is to stop the weeds from germinating on top of the mulch and fabric. Nothing, therefore its a waste of money and a waste of your time.

10. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

If the customer "insists" on fabric under mulch, "insist" on a waiver to cover the eventuallity that it will look like crap.

After all, YOU'RE supposed to be the pro, not them. Elsewise, why did they call you in the first place?