fabric recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by nt1, Feb 21, 2007.

1. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Any recommendations for weed control fabric underneath brick pavers?

I am helping my sister install a brick paver patio on clay soil.

The material at local home centers looks woven(breathable) and is not solid plastic.

Is a "breathable" product better for clay soils?
  2. excalibur

excalibur LawnSite Member

If you are going for the ocean in a hurricane look, go ahead as you arer planning. If not, you will want to look through the numerous threads that discussed how to install a proper base course and sand bed before installing your pavers. I have never heard of any reputable installer using weed control fabric, although I am not a pro.

MILSINC LawnSite Member

That's right, fabric is not even in the picture. Do a basic google search on how to install, and you should get something to go by.
  4. nt1

From books and the internet sources recommend fabric between the base and the sand bedding.

MILSINC LawnSite Member

ahh, I see.. well, disregard the fabric anyhow. base (compacted) and sand bedding is how it's done.

MILSINC LawnSite Member

also, don't forget to sand the joints with mason sand or poly sand. Poly sand does a nice job of keeping weeds out. You might also seal the pavers, which can help. Weeds typically should not grow through if done properly and with tight joints (sanding over aids in this, then compact again after sanded over)
  7. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Theyare talking about filter fabric ( soil seperation fabric) Marafi
  8. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

compact soil then fabric then base is that what you mean
  9. nt1

Ok, so maybe paver was not the right description. I will be using cleaned second-hand bricks for the patio. I have read about the actual pavers being stronger for this use but the bricks are free and she likes the rustic look of the bricks.

With these used bricks the joints will not be as tight as with pavers, maybe half inch joints at times.

So will sweeping in the sand on top of these bricks with suck large "gaps" be sufficient keep the weeds out?
  10. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

DeWitt markets a fabric specifically for paver work. If you are going to have some larger gaps between the bricks be sure to use polymer sand as it will stay in place much longer than silica sand.