fabric & Retaining wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DoubleB, Mar 14, 2007.

1. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

would you every use seperation fabric between soil and pack for a retaining wall base? certain wall heights or water applications? Also is it a smart idea to place seperation fabric on top of your drainage material for either top soil for planting or packed material for a raised patio. Let me know, thanks guys
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Please get trained before building a wall or patio that will fail.
  3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you expain your first line of your question.
  4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

i think he is stating that he would put fabric down then build a base

I have seen it done both ways and also a third way
    then I think he wants to cover the drainage stone with fabric then cover with soil! which that is smart then the soil doesn't run into the rock making it less effective. I put fabric down when I lay footer drains so the pipe doesn't get pushed into the mud and plugs the holes it is just an extra precaution. I put down fabric then build base but it also depends on the type of wall and block you use some applications don't always allow for certain things to be done.
  5. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

NCMA.org can answer all your questions on fabric. Fabric isn't necessary for separation for the base according to the NCMA, but it's not a bad idea being as it's so cheap. In a water application you would want to have fabric under the base continuing along the backside of the retaining area which should be all 3/4" clean stone not soil and not just 1' behind the wall. But if you're asking these questions, you should definately get educated before selling a contract as a "professional" installer.