fabric-yes or no?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cutntrim, Jul 12, 2001.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

A customer of mine has two mature maples that shade part of her lawn with the predictable result of poor turf growth underneath. Adding to the problem is that this area is on a slope and the soil is sandy, so what little water remains on the slope is slurped up by the maples.

She'd like us to correct the problem and I'm thinking of stone under the maples perhaps with some ornamental grasses or hostas. Ordinarily I'd put down landscape fabric first, but these maples have some exposed roots and I'm wondering if covering them entirely would be detrimental to their health. They're in good shape, the lawn isn't.

What do you think? Fabric - yes or no?

2. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Fabric yes, plastic sheeting NO EVER.

CMerLand

Gotta start using shorter answers if im ever gonna make addict

3. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to know who it was that started that plastic stuff.
    :angry:

4. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Jeez guys! I may have been concentrated in maintenance-only for the past decade, but I certainly wouldn't consider PLASTIC SHEETS for underneath of the stone. Did I somehow infer that might be an option?!?

Anyway, since fabric does allow water and air to permeate to the soil below (and I can't find any info to suggest doing otherwise) I'm planning to use the fabric.

Thanks.

5. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Hey cut,

Sheeting was just a term for the plastic, not to imply you'd use plastic sheets per se, for exactly the reasons you stated.

Although I gotta tell ya one time I was asked to renovate a landscape bed and they had used a blue plastic pool liner of all things underneath the mulch layer. Was impossible to pull it out without it tearing in your hands in to little tiny pieces. My other personal favorite is clear plastic, which creates the nice greenhouse effect once it pokes through the mulch.

CMerLand

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Fabric on a slope can create a slick surface that causes mulch or stone slide. Choose a fabric that isn't slick. Pitch of the slope is also a big factor.