Fabricated Aerator?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cwmiller928, Sep 16, 2007.

1. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

So with the price of a new aerator being a little pricey for the number of accounts i would be using it on. I'm thinking of fabricationg one to mount on the front of my stander. It would be a standard 48inch plug aerator. (kinda like a crapsman one only much much stronger). and im going to mount brackets to the frame of the stander and aerate that way. Do you guys think this will work? I'll post pics and let you know how it comes if i decide to do so.

2. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

You will probably need the ability to raise it on the fly. If you are running a hydo and try to turn this thing with the aerator down you will do major turf damage. I would also wonder about traction with so much weight forward it may be hard to keep the rear tires biting.

3. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I revised my Trac Vac front mounted aerator to a tow behind aerator that I use with my Wright Stander. I don't think a front mount would be advisable. You would change the balance of the mower.

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

robertsturf, could you post pics of the aerator, I have an Everride Scorpion, and have been thinking of an aerator for it.

5. cwmiller928

So you guys think that just pulling it behind would be better? that was my one concern was loosing traction.

6. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

yes definately, probably less damage and better traction that way.

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

You need alot of traction to "push" an aerator. I used to run a aerovator on a grasshopper, and it had v-tread tires and every bit of weight the 25 horse kubota engine had. It might look funky pulling behind a stander, but a coring aerator you can put blocks or water in a weight tank will do the job fine. I 'd stay away from "spikers" they dont help and actually compact the soil. 2 or 3 good passes with a core aerator twice per year will give great results.

8. cwmiller928

Alrighty. Then pull behind it is. Thanks for the advice and saving me the trouble of all that work with a horrible outcome.

9. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i am in the process of building my own tow behind(similar to lesco's) for towing behind my turf tiger. I already have a lesco one, but dont like that the tines are not independent and it doesnt have electric lift. There is nothing to making them.

the thing i dont like about front mound ones are that you run over alot of the clods and sometimes can track them over concrete and you cant get into some areas compared to a tow unit where you can back it right into tight spots.

10. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

Got any Pictures?