Fabricating a Plow Frame

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by cjtatar, Sep 11, 2000.

1. cjtatar

cjtatar LawnSite Member

Hi gang. My first post so please try not to blast me! =D

I recently acquired a Meyers 7ft. Power Angle Plow (E47 I believe) for my Pickup truck. My truck is a 1994 Chevy 1500, Z71, 4x4, 350 V8 w/ 5spd. The plow setup I purchased was used on an early 80's Chevy. The previous owner cobbed up a mounting arrangment for his application, and for those who know a little about Chevies, the frames have changed from early 80's to 94, so it was obvious it wouldn't work with my truck...

I set out using AutoCAD and some cardboard to mock up some concepts. I came up with a pretty slick solution, one that allows the plow to be removed in two pieces, much like today's easy mounts. The A frame is removed (obviously) as well as the hydralic pump mount. I have a jpg available if anyone is interested in seeing my creation.

My question to the group is has anyone performed such a fabrication before? I searched high and dry over the internet and came up empty handed. I'd like to publish my creation for others to show them that it can be done.

I spent $200 on the Meyer's setup, $100 in parts (steel, weld rod, nuts/bolts/drill bits) and have yet to order the other remaining parts (new springs, pads, etc), which I expect to cost another $100.

So, even if my list grows, it's going to cost me $500 for a 7ft plow on my truck...

Your thoughts??

2. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sound good to me,just as long as you feel it is strong enough but not to strong. The plow frame need to give before your truck frame.

3. cjtatar

cjtatar LawnSite Member

I built the frame primarily of 3/8 inch thick steel plate and angle iron. I'm plenty sure it's robust enough for my application, which today is only my own driveway. I do not plan on getting accounts until I've gained some experience with plowing with this truck. I've plowed before, but with an old international tractor (with no cab or5 sheild).

4. Alan

Alan Member

For what it's worth, I built the last two subframes and nosepieces for our Sno-Ways. I felt that the $450 for factory parts, combined with what I see as a lack of quality control in their welding processes made it worth the effort. Mine a bit more robust than the factory ones and so far not a crack in MY welds.

I had a factory nosepiece to use as a template and built a jig to locate the pinholes. Other than that, about $35 in material and about 8 hours labor. Not a bad return for spending my spare time doing something I enjoy.

5. cjtatar

cjtatar LawnSite Member

I unfortunately have nothing to go by other than pictures I've found on the web (OEM homepages). If you've been to the big dogs homepages, you'll see how damn small their pictures are, so fabrication was totally done with my imagination. I did check with the ME guys at work to verify it would be strong enough for the job...

6. sly

sly LawnSite Member

I know its been awhile but I am a new member. Would definitively be interested in seeing some pics and information.

sly

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto Digger....

The major manufacturers of plows build in 'failure points' so that the plow frame gives prior to the truck frame failing in the event of an accident.

That's the only thing I'd be careful on when fabing up your own mounting package. It would be human nature to beef it all up so it doesn't break.... that could prove to be very expensive down the road.

8. Dusty

Dusty LawnSite Member

I guess that those failure points are why the push beam on my Fisher kept rotating and twisting every year or two until I welded it solid. I don't believe that there are any built in failure points that make much differance in the event of an accident. The plow frame has to be able to take the pressure of pushing snow and that is quite severe in itself.

9. plowguy06

plowguy06 LawnSite Member

i would be interested in seeing the plans. is there a way you could make a link and put it on the forum?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

cjtater,

Not blasting you, but 7' for a fullsize truck? Thats barely wide enough when straight. Maybe think about wings or, seems like your handy, add on to both sides to come up with an 8'er. This seems like a lot of work for a couple hundred to spend on a brand new setup WITH proven design AND instructions! Good luck!