Fabricating my own trailer cage

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by J & D Greens, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good my friend. I fab full time at a shop that builds chassis for varius NASCAR teams here in SC and I like to see people fab on thier own to save some bucks. Just a piece of advise on material. I'm not sure if you were just trying to match up trailer angle with your cage or you thought you need that much strengh. I would go with square 3/4 (.065) if you were going to try this agian on a future trailer. It will be plenty strong once constucted and would be less weight and cost less. My cost on a stick would be $13.60 for 24'. You might be looking at $25 or so retail, just a guess though. Hope this helps and keep up the good work my friend.

PLS

2. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

The reason the angle iron is this heavy is because I was using the cheapest stuff I could get. The metal place out here is also a recycling place, they have a used yard and you can buy new also. when I bought for my tailgate there was a lot of angle iron there in the recycle yard. At 20 cents a pound you can't go wrong. (for most of the angle I paid about $30.00 for what I used on the tailgate and enough for half of the cage.) the unfortunate thing was running out and they had no more used. It was $20 per stick for the new. Nice thing was they sold the expanded for $50.00 new. I figure that on my trailer the weight will actually stabilize it more than hurt it. Even though it is home made it is heavy duty for it's size and I don't for-see overloading it. It will mainly be used for my equipment. But I will use your advice on future projects if I can afford to use the best size for the job. I feel like Tim the tool man Tailor some times when I take on a project and go a little over board. If you look at my post on the tail-gate you will see I wanted it strong enough for any mower I might use in the future. Hey thank you for everything, David

3. J & D Greens

Oh buy the way the door to this where actually already put together as one full piece that my neighbor found a thought I could use on this. I just had to cut it in to the two sizes and take a piece of angle iron and cut it to fit the open ends. I think it may have been more work than making it from scratch but I do like the way it turned out.

4. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Looks awesome to me!

5. J & D Greens

Thanks, I was hoping that you won't mind me stealing your color scheme on your truck & trailer (Hunter Green), when I expand.

6. 4.3mudder

Well, you might steal it before I do. I still have not gotten i painted. I have to work on the fenders a little bit. I need to get my cage built for the front of mine. Steel is going to run around $150. But it will be well worth it.

7. J & D Greens

That is about what it would have cost if I bought new steel, but the used stuff save me a lot (just had to grind any area that I was going to weld). But I did end up short on the expanded metal and ended buying another 4X8 sheet just for about 2'X3' of it. But I will need it for the truck some day. i want to make side boards that way. Thanks for the compliment. and I won't be using the green until I buy another truck and trailer, so you win!

8. 4.3mudder

Awesome, well, good luck to you this year.

9. Kriz2ooo

Kriz2ooo LawnSite Member

coolest fenders ever!!!

10. J & D Greens

Thanks, I wished I could take the credit for the but the previous owner put them on. But I wouldn't change them for the world. They are to much of a conversation piece.