Facebook? Personal Friend vs. Customers....?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Exact Rototilling, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I just feel it is borderline unprofessional to friend customers on ones personal page. How do you friend customers directly to your business page? Maybe some of my customer would be offended to see that I'm a Ron Paul supporter on my personal FB page ...:confused:

Last November I opened a personal Facebook page and then claimed my business page which Facebook had already established for me.

When I first signed up for my personal page... Facebook prompted me to friend several customers who I had email addresses for and even those I merely texted with as a mean of primary communication. As of yet I have NOT friended ANY of my customers personally. I’d rather keep my personal life separate form my professional life etc.

I had resisted FaceBook for years on personal level but I admittedly caved in on the idea for business use primarily. So is there is there a way to friend customers directly from your company page or do they have to be personal friends first.

I have seen other local business use facebook for example http://facebook.com/biplane.brewing On that page you will see the page owner list family members as friends etc. Is this a better way to establish a FB page for a biz....?
  2. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

I wont add my customer to my personal page because that's just weird.
  3. Exact Rototilling

Yeah I hear you it's like inviting them over for gathering of actual friends and family complete with a projector slide show of the last vacation, daughters graduation etc.

What I have considered doing is opening up a seperate Facebook account related to my business page and add that account and set that account as another administrator. Not sure that's why I'm asking......
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a page for my business that they can like but that's as far as they go.
  5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have them combined and it doesn't matter to me. But the only ones were friends before customers.
  6. Exact Rototilling

Were they separate at one time? Did you have to change settings or you just invited them from the get go?

Is your identify on FB biz or personal?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

I resisted FB for the same reasons. I have one now, but spending more time recently developing our google+ page. Seems to have a little more control than FB. PLUS, I noticed (just recently) that we appear to be landing on the first page more often just because of google+.

And you KNOW that's good!!!
  8. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

My wife does our personal fb, and I keep the biz one. I mix a little, don't put a whole lot of personal on mine, but like to post funny stuff I see every once in a while so it doesn't seem like all my posts are about selling something... I do have some pics of my kiddos and stuff on there, would have them in my office anyways... I get alot of biz off fb, sometimes seeing my posts remind people to come look, or get parts, etc... I have some of my customers that won't friend me cause they say they don't want to mix biz and personal, but the sad thing is my biz takes up all my personal....lol.
  9. thisismurph

thisismurph LawnSite Member

Damn they lost their liquor license !!!!
  10. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

Me too. I also don't like friends to show up on my company page. Them drunk SOBs would spook every customer away. lol