Fact or Fiction about Lawncare Business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWN APPEAL, Sep 3, 2003.

1. LAWN APPEAL

LAWN APPEAL LawnSite Member

When reading the varies comments my opinion about doing lawn care changes by the minute.

I hear so many great stories about doing lawn care is that a reflection of oneself or the reflection of the industry

Then I hear so many bad stories about doing lawn care is that a reflection of oneself or the reflection of the industry

Not sure what direction to take, I'm looking to net around 40 to 45 thousand dollars a year working in Northeast Ohio with a one man crew. Doesn't sound like a bad goal.

My ideas to the key to success!

Sound Equipment
    Practice what you Preach
    Treat customers as you would like to be treated
    Be organized
    When you quote a job look professional

Let me what u think!!!
    good,bad, or ugly

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

"Sound Equipment
    Practice what you Preach
    Treat customers as you would like to be treated
    Be organized
    When you quote a job look professional"

Those apply for any business, or life in general

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Talk to us after one season. And you will START to treat your customers like they have treated you.
    John

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Very good basis for any business out there that has human interaction! Best of luck to you in meeting your goal.

Gravely_Man

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Do what you enjoy doing rather than what you have to do and it will show in your work.Do the best possible job you can with what you've got and always try to improve upon it.As for the rest of the industry.....Worry about your own business and your own goals.....let them be a reflection of YOU.

6. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Where did you come up with those numbers? Just wondering what type of research you did. thanks

7. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I would say 70k-80k gross solo, 110k to 125k with a good helper.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would say that's a bit extreme. We are talking Northeast Ohio, here. In this region, give us 20 working days a month, times 7 months, and that's 140 working days (average). You would have to be grossing between $500 and $600 a day EVERY day to do this. I don't know of ANY solo operators that do this with a mower - myself included. It just doesn't go for that, around here. Not consistently, like that. If I get 8 - 10 residentials done a day, (1/2 acre or so), I'm doing well. Well, you're only looking at 35-40 bucks apiece for them (again, the going rate). That's $400 tops, gross. Now, take out your expenses,.... Just being a realist about this. I know ALOT of people in this business and network with a great deal of LCO's around here. We are all in it together, and all know the #'s, and they all come out to arbout the same. Well, lunch is over me, so I gotta get going. Anyway, good luck on your new venture, but KNOW the NUMBERS - ALL OF THEM!;)

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it's good that you are determined, but liike it was said before, your attitude will change after a couple of seasons

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

You would be cutting some serious lawns, and putting in some serious hours to gross 125k with only 1 "helper".

As far as the original question, lawn care is like any job. It has it's ups and downs. As John said, after a year you will start to treat people how they treat you. :cool: