1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Factory Blades VS Aftermarket Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Redmowers, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

How many of you out there use factory blades as opposed to aftermarket ones?Usually the factory ones are more expensive but does the extra cost mean a better blade that will hold an edge longer?I tried aftermarket ones this season on my Honda.So far the factory blades seem to hold an edge longer than my aftermarket ones.But the price difference still makes aftermarket one a lot better deal so far.Anyone else get the same results?
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I only use factory as I got burnt in the past by one of the larger "unnamed" aftermarket suppliers. The blades were each 1/8" shorter than factory causing a strip between blades. I'll pay the extra $$$. I'm sure even factory blades may get screwed up from time to time, but I would imagine their quality control is much better and have yet to see one that was off. I'm talking Scag blades here.
  3. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an aftermarket set of Gator Blades for my Walker SD mower and have had nothing but PROBLEMS with them. They were hitting each other as soon as I put them on. Sometimes they would hit and other times they would work fine. Supplier told the dealer I got them from that my deck was out of time. NOT!!!!!!!!! The Walker high lifts work fine,no hitting. The Gator's were 1/8" longer and were straight on the ends instead of tapered like the Walkers. Needless to say I have $50.00 worth of JUNK metal laying on my workbench. I will never buy another aftermarket blade. I just wish Walker Mowers would have the company that makes their blades produce a Gator Blade for their sidedischarge mowers. Hey just my HONEST opinion.
    Good Luck,
  4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I use the factory blades now. Use to use aftermarket, but they just weren't lasting all that long. The steel is harder on the factory blades and they hold an edge longer.
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I use aftermarket blades whenever they are available.Ive never had any trouble with them.I always lay them next to the originals before i mount them.I have to buy originals for my steiner,aftermarket blades are scarce,it costs me 60 bucks a set,shipped to my door for factory blades,they dont work any better than the aftermarket blades i bought for 7 bucks a piece for my dixie.
  6. Redmowers

A set of factory blades for my Honda is around $50.00.Aftermarket range from $20.00 - $25.00 high lift or low lift.So I will see how they compare long term kinda like a consumer report test.I should doccument the study maybe I could get a grant for it,dumber things have recieved grant money Im sure !
  7. Hi lift aftermarket blades for a 52" toro are $7.10@
    or $7.15 for a 62" toro at mowmore.com.
  8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Atomic's. They are thicker than factory blades and seem to hold and edge and last longer than factory blades in our sandy enviroment.
  9. Redmowers

Stone, Thats the same place I got my blades ,Best price I could find and reasonable shipping.Seemed good quality blades and were the same length as my originals,what else can you ask for!
  10. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

Thought I was the only one with blade problems . My after market high lifts were .35 shorter than stock Scag. & the gators were .25 shorter left a strip
    so I went back to stock blades . like the gators on top for doubles except in wet grass morning dew and such the pluged the deck so bad they stoped turning
    toook the off willprobley put them back in fall for leaves the combination of high lifts on bottom & gators on top cut and dispersed grass great but can't find any high lifts thats not to short so as not to leave strips.