factory JD blades

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Full throttle lawn care, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

Is there a place on the web where I can buy them?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

News flash....JD doesn't even make blades. Shop around for a decent aftermarket blade.

3. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

Would you happen to know what brand they are? I bought some aftermarket ones and they were junk. Half the price but half the steel and half the sharpnings per blade and they bend really easy. Only thing on the factory blades that came with the JD are numbers no name.:drinkup:

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If they just had the numbers, they MIGHT be Oregon. If they were Anderson's, they would have an "a" stamped on them. Now, I DO know that JD may not perhaps use a standard aftermarket blade...many manufacturers are prefering to use a little higher grade blade with the marbid cutting edge. What that is basically, is a hardened that is poured into the edge of the blade (feels coarse on the bottom edge). This helps the blade from dulling quite so fast. Last time I bought a set of blades for my lazer, I happened to buy them from the dealer, and this is what they were selling for the "Exmark" blades.
    I know exactly what you are saying though,...some of the aftermarket blades ARE made out of some real soft steel. That is one of the reasons that many of the companies have to make them so thick and heavy...to compensate for the softness and ease of bending.
    I would perhaps try J.Thomas or some of these outfits like Mowmore.com.