Factory Service Manual

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by H2OandNcutter, May 22, 2003.

1. H2OandNcutter

H2OandNcutter LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hey Y'all,

Is there such a thing, like in the automotive biz, as a factory service manual for my 2002 LazerZ HP, 44 inch, 17 hp Kawasaki? Typically the automotive manuals show how to everything, soup to nuts.

When I asked the counter guy today at my dealer he looked at me kind'a like I had two heads. Then after asking a second guy said he'd never seen such a thing.

Thanks,

R.S.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey R.S.,

I know what you're talking about. It's almost like a Haynes or Chilton's repair manual. We really don't have anything that in-depth. You've got your Operator's and Parts Manuals that give you a lot of basic information, but they're not going to tell you how to overhaul your 17-hp Kaw. engine.

The problem is that information on the engines, pumps, or wheel motors all has to come from the manufacturers of these products. When we get tech information, it comes from them. This is why it's more difficult to consolidate everything into one big manual. As their products change, they make changes to their manuals. As we make changes, we revise our manuals.

We've kicked around creating some kind of a service manual, but it just hasn't taken off yet. Have you looked through your Operator's Manual yet (front-to-back, not just the index)? You might be surprised at some of the information in there. If we were to create this type of a document, what information would you like to see there? Let me know when you get a chance.

Here to help,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. H2OandNcutter

from Atlanta

Hey Dustin,

Thanks for the reply. I find it a little disappointing that no factory service manual is available. Cars are far more complex and their manufacturers make, for the most part, excellent service manuals available.

I felt confident that I could make some repairs and perform some maintenance with a little help as I'm a pretty handy guy with a past life in the autobody business.

Thanks again or your prompt reply.

R.S.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There IS however, a video that is available that shows every adjustment (including all hydros) on every mower that is available. This video is an incredible asset and is well worth the money. I'm not sure of the part #, but I think if you did a search on "video" for this forum, you'd probably find it. There is all kinds of good info on this, including deck alignment, as well.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

O.k., I found it. It is Part # 850450. I hope this helps.

6. H2OandNcutter

from Atlanta

Hey Runner,

Thanks for the tip on the video! I'll be over near my dealer today and
    will stop by to check it out.

As someone with a mechanical aptitude and the tools I like to make do repairs and
    maintenance that I'm capable of. In order to make that decision it really helps to
    have the factory, not a Chiltons, Motors, or Haynes, manual. Then ya can really make
    up yer mind as to what ya can, want, or is practical to do yerself!

Thanks again Runner and thanks to LawnSite.com for all I've learned from
    the many, many postings I've read!

R.S.

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I have service manuals for all Kawasaki engines. You can get them from Kawasaki.

Mike