1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fading grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by clayslandscape, Jul 10, 2013.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

This is a photo of my own yard. It is normally lush and green about 4 inches tall. As you can see the shady bottom has not done to swell with all this rain we have had. It is staying wet down there. Is there anything at all I could do right now? Is it possible to reseed after core aerating since it does have plenty of moisture? I hate my yard looking like this even tho it is only the bottom.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely shade is the problem. Extra moisture will not substitute for lack of sunlight. Yes, you can reseed. Did you plan on using tall fescue? Best time to seed is when early fall temps come down below 85. For you possibly mid-September.
    However, there is no substitute for sunlight. Problem will probably occur again. I suggest reduce shade...or...replace the grass with a shade-tolerant ground cover. Pachysandra, myrtle, ivy, or just bark.
  3. clayslandscape

So if I were to go ahead and reseed now, nothing will happen you think? You can tell the ground has become compacted due to so much moisture from rain.
  4. clayslandscape

It was tall fescue with a bit of annual rye grass mixed in.