FAE or Magnum mulcher head?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rutwad, Sep 7, 2006.

1. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I hear two different stories. I was pretty well sold on the magnum until I talked to a guy that has been running one for a while. He says that other heads are better than his magnum. Yet I hear magnum has the fastest recover time and will outcut all others.

Then a salesman that sells both said they stopped selling the magnum because it just wasn't as good as the FAE. He says the FAE has a quicker recovery time, better warranty, better built, and been in the industry for years.

So what I am wondering is did the magnum change? It used to be called a mini-mag, but now it's a magnum xl. Maybe the FAE is better than the mini-mag but not the newer xl.

Does anybody know?

thanks

2. Wayward

Wayward LawnSite Member

I, too, am interested in this subject. Every dealer I've talked to says his brand is the best, has the best technology, is built the strongest, etc. And for the price of these things, I don't want to make the wrong choice. I'm going to try to demo as many as I can, but this won't be easy because some dealers are quite a distance away.

3. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

rutwad,

Just wondering if you have considered the Fecon & Loftness cutter heads?

If so, what's your opinion of them? Have you ruled them out in favor of the FAE or Magnum?

What do you mean by 'recovery time'?

4. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

So far I can only go on what I've been told. I haven't demo'd any. According to the ASV district sales rep who says they have worked with all the mulcher head manufacturers, he said Fecon, FAE, or Magnum are all good heads and you can't go wrong with any of them. Loftness is a lighter built head. Magnum has the quickest recovery time (time getting back up to speed after stalling it down).

I've actually seen the Magnum and FAE. I like the Magnum for it's low profile and pressure gauge. I like the FAE for it's adjustable skids (up to 4") and V'd push bar. The magnum's push bar is built using smaller material and is a straight bar which could allow a tree to go to either side where the FAE push bar will "hold" the tree in it's V not allowing it to slide to the sides. I like the fact that FAE manufactures many forestry attachments and has been in business much longer than magnum.

According to a saleman that is a dealer for FAE and Magnum (they are still a Magnum authorized dealer but no longer keep it's product in stock) he has had better luck with the FAE's. A couple of magnum's have came back with problems, never a FAE. FAE's warranty is better. The Magnum offers double sided hammers, but after switching the worn teeth around you cause the head to be out of balance which will cause premature wear. He also says the FAE has a quicker recover time. But I am wondering if he sold the older Magnum heads. I have heard the XL has an upgraded motor. Maybe the older Magnum was slower until they switched to the XL.

I read on the internet where someone had a chance to demo all 4 (loftness Fecon, FAE, and Magnum). He said the Magnum out cut them all and the only one that came close was the FAE.

So unless I hear different, I think it;s between the FAE and Magnum for me.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would think that the recovery time of the hyd. motor would have a lot to do with your carrier's hyd. hp and its pump set up. Brown Bear also makes a cutter head that is well thought of. I still marvel at the cost of these things. I just don't see how they get to 25 to 30K for one of these.

6. Wayward

Wayward LawnSite Member

I went today and checked out some mulchers at my local CAT dealer. They carry three brands of mulchers: Magnum, Tushogg, and CAT (according to the dealer, it's an FAE with CAT paint). He said he likes the Magnum best because it has the fastest recovery and cuts the quickest.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Wayward, did you happen to take a look at Cat's new HM312 mulcher? Is that the one built by FAE? I have a friend who's interested in buying one of these heads but our dealer is having trouble getting one this far west with their recent introduction to the Cat mulcher lineup.

8. Wayward

Wayward LawnSite Member

Scag48, they had all three makes there on the ground. To be honest, though, I didn't take a real good look at the CAT (it was wedged in between some other stuff and had the hydraulic door down so that I couldn't see the cutting head), but the salesman said that it was made by FAE. BTW, Magnum XL $25,000, CAT $23,000, Tushogg $20,000 (all ballpark figures).

9. jsbiker

jsbiker LawnSite Member

FAE is the largest maker of mulching heads and Mag is just a poor copy as ia a few others the CAT mh312 is almost the same as the FAE UML/SSL 125. but Cat had a few little changes made.

10. MikeAtv

MikeAtv LawnSite Member

The Cat rental stores in Loisville rent Fecon's. They really like them.