failing 1812's

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mrsteve, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Funny pipe and blue twisters work for me

3/4" and above then the fancy stuff.

2. MikeyG

MikeyG LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

tell us more

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, there's the problem. And I've experienced it with both 1812s and 1806s in the same high pressure situation.

Time for a PRV. A Zurn-Wilkins BR4 or NR3 won't set them back too much and has a wide adjustment range.

5. irrig8r

It should not be poly but what we call "flex PVC" around here... Thick walled stuff. Salco used to (or maybe still does?) market it for drip lines. Overkill for that IMHO.

Use IPS Weld-On 795 with it. Used a lot here with bubblers. Easy to install ahead and push out of the way while planting.

Or if they did try to glue poly (can't tell wall thickness from the photo) they might have seen one done right and copied it badly.

6. irrig8r

BTW, Salco appears to be a part of Weathermatic these days. Went to the "Tubing" page and it was blank.

Toro sells it though, and calls it IPS tubing.

I've used it in tight repairs too, like when an angle is more than a 45 and less than a 90. Or on one occasion to slip thru bores in a raised concrete planter from the adjacent ground level bed when the concrete contractor forgot to include sleeves and the planters were already backfilled.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  7. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I see no advantage to it over swing pipe. Why would you use it?

8. irrig8r

See above edit. Or to quote the Toro page, "Provides more flexibility and durability than rigid PVC and is more resistant to kinking than polyethylene tubing."

9. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Still don't see a reason.

10. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

IMO not ever good for repairs. When I did use it we sanded the pipe and didn't even think about putting water to it that day. Now days those blue barb fitting and funny pipe are the ticket.