Failure to Pay

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Kgrebs, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Kgrebs

Kgrebs LawnSite Member

I hope this is the right place for this. I am in Massachusetts and have a couple customers who are delinquent on their payments all the way back to September. I have never dealt with this before. Does anyone have any experience with this and have ideas how I should proceed?

2. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Send certified letter, you have to wait 10 days before proceeding in most states, then if they do not pay you can take them to the magistrate. DJ.....

You must include on the DJ magistrate form the cost of the balance they owe and then the cost of the DJ magistrate fees. All DJ Magistrates charge slightly different rates at times, so contact the local DJ office to find out how much the rates are, there you go. If this does not work they will put a lien on property or you can execute on them.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Why are they not paying? Have you spoken with them or are they just avoiding your calls?

4. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same issue here in Louisville Ky I will just write it off as a business loss.

5. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Last year was bad for non payers, had a few file bankruptcy and a few who passed away totalling up to around $10,000 so we more likely will write them off. We had taken a few business's to small claims court and collected that way, thats the best way to do it.

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Some of them when they get the court letter they pay:drinkup: