Fair Labor Rate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by skipwith, Nov 13, 2007.

1. skipwith

skipwith LawnSite Member

What is a fair labor rate for installs, weeding etc? I have been charging 30/hour. Also how much is a fair markup on plants and materials?

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

$45 - $60 an hour just for you and then you need to know your overhead for employees and materials to get the actual prices.

3. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I base all of my work at 65/ hour plus any materials.

4. skipwith

skipwith LawnSite Member

for each sub/laborer per hour?

5. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I run solo.

6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow it really depends on your region... can you add your expenses+profit you want to make (must be reasonable) than divide by how many hours your going to work... Thats a brief explination... its really more complicated than that... but it gives you an idea

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Not to pick on you, but this has been asked alot on here and I dont get it. The rate for an employee or sub should be the same as for you. I just dont get the discount thing. Say you charge $40 for you and $30 for a helper.

You work 10 hours doing a job=$400
    Your employee 10 hours doing the same job $300
    You and your employee working 5 hours each $350

The same thing got done either way, so why the variance in pricing?

8. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

One vehicle to get to the job, 2 may be more efficient than 1, but 3 may not be more than 2.

9. jmkr02

One vehicle to get to the job, 2 may be more efficient than 1, but 3 may not be more than 2.

10. jmkr02