Fair mulch price?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by scag2015, Mar 24, 2014.

1. scag2015

scag2015 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey everyone, I'm solo operating this job and was wondering what's a good price to charge per bag of 2cu ft of pine bark mini nugget mulch? Customer is paying and delivering the mulch (it's $2.33 a bag) and I laid it. (I have already completed this job but want to know what's a fair price) overall I laid (I did a bunch of other stuff too but I'm just talking about the mulch right now) 71 bags of mulch is $2.00 a bag a good price ($142) (I know most people price per cu yard and such but I'm not familiar with that, so is this a a complete lowball or a good price) (client is also a friend but does live in a nice house and neighborhood) really would love to hear back from you'll! Thanks in advance:)!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. scag2015

Bump
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

How long did it take you? My calculations show about 5.3 yards of mulch which if you charged $142, my opinion is that's low. Did you edge? Did you weed the beds? Or was it just laying it?

Laying only that might be a decent price but I certainly don't do jobs like that and depends on the time it took.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. scag2015

I did a bunch of other stuff including weeding digging up a bunch of old shrubs, Lilly's, and plants and planted a bunch of shrubs and I also did the first cut of the season and a major trim job!:) overall I spent 20hrs doing everything but like only half of that was laying mulch:) I'm just talking about raw laying mulch price:) thank you, keep em coming!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

How long did it take to lay the bags of mulch? That will determine if it's a good price or not.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

$220 to lay the mulch.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. scag2015

Thanks and keep me coming:), it took me probably about 6-7.5 hours I think.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

IMO, it's too low. I try to bill no less than $30/hr for any labor I provide, usually $40.

9. jequigle

jequigle LawnSite Member

6 hrs of labor for me would be around $375

10. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

$50/manhr is what we charge for landscape work.