Fair price for cutting only?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greeneakers04, Apr 14, 2005.

1. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I need to get some input here. I know there will be variables here but generally speaking......

What would be a fair price to charge someone for cutting only?

.25 acre
    .5 acre
    .75 acre
    1 acre

Thanks.

2. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

.25 ~~~ $25
    .50 ~~~ $35
    .75~~~ $35
    1 ~~~ $45

thats all folks :blob3: :blob3: :blob3: :angel: :help: :cool2: payup payup payup payup :alien: :cry: :cry: :dizzy:

3. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, why is it as the property gets bigger the prices keep fallin?...Is it that the More the customer makes , the bigger his house is, the more property he has, the more BMW's, Jag's he has the lower his cost is for taking the basics?...Whats the rule of thumb here?....Maybe theres something I'm missing?....Isnt it better to just cut the little guy?......Any opinions out there?......... :dizzy:

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If you charge $25 for 1/4 acre, it will be hard to get $100 for a full acre. Some locations people can mow $25 - $35/acre and show a profit with the right equipment. I do small (2500 - 10000 sf) areas as I dont want to buy any more expensive ztr's. I start at $20 and am done in 15 - 20 min w/ everything.

5. A Finer Cut

A Finer Cut LawnSite Member

.25 - $35
    .5 - $ 40 - 50
    .75 - $ 50-55
    1 - $ 55 - 65

Now keep in mind that Norther Va. is a VERY affluent area and people work ALL the time. Many almost have to pay for lawn care. I mow my parents 1 acre at $50 a cut.
    I tend to come in at the lower end of the pricing scale arount here, too.

As far as lower pricing for larger lawns; It is the same as it is in many industries. Think Price Club (Costco), buy in bulk and save. Order a value meal and save a buck. The more photo copies ypu make, the cheaper it is per page.

6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice, Charging your parents, What did it cost you to have your diapers changed??

7. ndunn

ndunn LawnSite Member

I love the little guy. as an example, I gave an estimate yesterday for a million dollar home, 1/3 acre of Kidney shaped patches with lots of obstacles and meticulous edges to be maintained. I quoted to put him on a full organic program at the same cost of a synth. fert program and he says "ouch! that expensive? but what do you charge then just for a half an hour of mowing, cause that's all that's really needed." another LCO was driving by, so I actually flagged him down to get a competing quote right then and there. (same range) This guy was impressed by that, but gave me the old..."well I'll think about it". He kept trying to nail down a price for 30 mins of work for some reason. I can't bid by the hour, different mow speeds...blah blah...insurance...blah. Twenty minutes later I'm in a postage stamp yard neighborhood built in the 70's and I quote this lady the same price for a slightly smaller, perfectly square yard and she says "WOW! It's that cheap?," then starts asking for all kinds of other services (NOT THOSE KIND OF SERVICES BOBBY!). It's like this every time I hit the streets with flyers. I hit the wealthy neighborhoods first now, so I get them out of the way and have time to b.s. with people in the other neighborhoods. So long story short, the little guy is an easier sell for me than people with new money. If anybody has some insight into dealing with the new money, that would be appreciated. The ones that are crazy wealthy, like multimillions, they are not so bad. Old money people seem to be more laid back.