Fair Price for: Scag SWZU 48" - Less than 1K Hours, 5 years old

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdoss123, Apr 25, 2006.

1. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me if the price of 2,000 for a Scag SWZU 48" with less than 1000 hours, 17HP Kaw, Metal Catcher Bin, Velke, Stiper Kit is a fair price?

Anyone know what deck options were available around 2001? I know now there is Velocity Pro and the Advantage deck for that model but didn't know what was available back then.

Any help is appreciated,

2. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

if its in good shape i give 2 grand for it , i have a 2000 model and i love it to death beats the hell outa the back up swz mine has 1100 hrs on it now and has the old style deck which cuts wet grass better than the (dis) advantage deck , i have a tiger cub with the advatage deck and when its wet it wont cut at all, The price on a new swzu is 6 grand plus i think
  3. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

i looked into buying a used SWZU about 2 months ago.. it was an '04 with a little under 50 hours of use. i offered him $3500.. he didnt take it.. thank god he didnt take it because they afternoon i went to my local dealer and asked him about the floating decks. he said he doesnt even sell those because the floating deck cracks very easily on some of these machines.. im just letting you know about this, dont take anything personal.. 2000 is a good price for that machine especially with that striper:)

oh and one more thing.. the guy with the used SWZU said he had another guy comming to look at it and offering 4000. he called me back 3 days later and said he would take the 3500 for it. I just bought a brand new mower i told him.
  4. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Well, that's not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I do appreciate the info. Anyone else know about the Scag floating decks? The machine is in great shape but I just can't find much user info about the SWZU, whereas there is a ton about the fixed deck models.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got two floating deck on Scag....and no problems. Have you looked at how thick the steel is on the Scag deck? Obviously any deck can be cracked if you hit something at high speed. So what is this dealer selling....?
  6. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Not a dealer, private party sale. I haven't seen it in person yet but will this weekend. I was most concerned about the deck because I have heard many bad things about the Advantage and know it's available on the SWZU. I didn't see "advantage" in the pics but I'll have to see in person.

Any more input on the floating deck WBs from Scag?
  7. ronniez71

ronniez71 LawnSite Member

I have the 52' swzu ultimate advantage floating deck and it is a bad ass tank!! Got 500 hrs and still kicks ass! Your dealer have all his teeth?? Never heard of a cracked scag deck?? Cant really imagine it either!!