Fair solo DAY RATE?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Would some of you please post what you think would be a fair blanket DAY rate for a solo company. In other words just a flat blanket rate to perform any services related to mowing or landscaping. A rate that would help you land enough work in one area to drop and work all day.

THANKS!

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know exactly what type of work you are fishing for, but while my 2 guys were doing a cleanup the other day, I did 4.5 hours of cleanup and deadheading, cleaned a pond skimmer basket and waterfall, all for $ 320.00 by myself, just three houses down from them. It depends on the level of service you offer to people that are willing to pay for it in return.You could probably make $1000.00 a day solo somewhere in the US, while somewhere else, you'd be lucky to make $ 100.00.

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

For a flat rate 8 hour day solo I would be fine with $480
    If it was one single task to be done, the price would probably come down a bit.

4. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I'm a solo show up here in B.C. I think a guy needs to make $300to$350 to make it work.I'm finding it more sensable to take on town homes and alike instead of stopping an going 10 times a day.The one stop at the town home makes $450.00 a day easy even after all the varios deductions and so on. I find myself back at home at 2:00 or 3:00 on those days.But that just me who nows the right way of doing this thing.So far it keeps getting better each year.Later

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I say a fair rate would be anything over $300

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$320-$400, i am leaning more towards reaching for a weekly rate though rather than daily. some days u scratch out $200, others you do $5-600. it should average out to like $350

7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

$300+ is a good start.

8. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you guys talking about just $300 take home, or $300 gross?

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys. Now I don't feel quite so unreasonable. Given what I have been trying to do I thought maybe a was reaching for a bit too much even though I would have cut windshield time out for a day. The old saying "can't have your cake and eat it too!"

Given the scope of work to be done, I thought the blanket labor rate was worthy of $400 a day. Considering everything would be a work in progress for the entire 1st year and considering weekly winter visits for blowing and any other work that could be done in cold weather, I thought that was an OK rate. Maybe I could have squeezed on down to $300 and still been OK considering the materials would be billed as extras.

Without going into long drawn out details, let's just say some morons think they are gettig rich at $175 a day. That is plenty enough explaination for the condition of the property and it goes on to show that people want the work done and done right, but they are not willing to pay for it. Most likely they have probably been able to find some new idiot each year that bids in that range.

So really what they are doing is the same thing over and over, but each time expecting different results. That is the definition of insanity by the way. Even though I maybe could have done a little better, maybe it's best I didn't for many reasons. The biggest one being that if the work wasn't bid as a day rate the annual charges would be unreal.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you guys saying that anything over $300 is good working solo. That's pretty much what I do an 8 hour day (actually 7 because I like to take almost an hour at lunch to cool down). I prefer 7am to 2 pm, although I usually go until near 3pm. However, my goal (however far out of reach) is $420 for the same amount of time / work. And I keep that in mind when giving estimates now.