Fair Wage? Indiana/Surrounding States

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by All_Clear, Jul 5, 2006.

1. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Whats a fair wage for those of you in Indiana or surrounding states?

Been seeing what i feel are low wages this yr for the green industry.

I wont put this guys number out there but i would expect more from a guy running a business in Lafayette. It's a booming city/town, most manpower jobs pay $10+ an hr. general labor.

General Labor
    40 hrs/wk, mostly lawn mowing. $6/hr. xxx-xxxx Lafayette, IN

Not sure who it is but sounds exactly like the guy that wanted help doing 500+ bushes and was willing to pay me $8 an hr for 4 hrs. Guy had $40,000+ truck and Z's to boot... which no wonder if he pays like that... but wouldn't you be better off paying a real wage and having less turn around? (oh and i declined helping :rolleyes: )

What would make someone go to this guy for $6 an hr when you can buy a push mower and make a better wage......

Just doesn't make sense to me.... but then again i run solo... so shed some light please...

Thanks
    All Clear

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

thats low............h2b guys make about $7.50+ here

first job out of college i was started at $12.50/hr do'n installs

i wouldn't both asking anybody to work me for less than $8/hr even with zero experience

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

lawn crew members in my area make 8.00-10.25 per hour

Lawn applicators 10.00 12.50 per hour

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've HEARD of guys (in Indiana) paying as low as $5 / hour....BELOW MINIMUM WAGE. I can only ASSUME they are doing it BELOW THE TABLE (i.e. CASH and no records). Certainly they are running without Insurance (Work Comp).

Mike

5. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Heck that ad is from the Lafayette paper and on careerbuilder Sadly!!!

All Clear

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I know the cost of living in Indiana has to be lower than it is here in New Jersey. So my guess is that 10 bucks an hour would be the minimum you could pay there and get any kind of decent help. I pay my guys quite a bit more than that though.

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Rod the cost of living is much lower here in Indiana than in NJ. When I was in VA Bch. A house that was 300k there is like 179 K here.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I can believe it Jason. Property values here in NJ are friggin through the roof these days.