Fair wage W/ OT?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ihatestumps, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ihatestumps

ihatestumps LawnSite Member
    from ct

Looking for some biased opinions here, I lost two of my guys in the last two weeks and I'm having a lot of trouble finding replacements this time of year. I have around 125 accounts and it's me and two other guys. We are keeping up.(barely)
    So today I told the guys we would just finish the season out this way. A huge argument ensued with basically my guys telling me they wanted more money to pick up two guys worth of work. Fair enough, but how much? Right now they both make 10.00 at 58 hours a week. My payroll for the other two guys was about 1000 plus workmen's comp etc. It then turned into" you don't pay us enough anyway, we work 58 hours a week we should get payed more" I feel like I let them work 18 hours of OT. Am I way off base on this one?

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area 10/hr is fair. That is starting pay for my guys. They work up from there. Let me guess the nationality of the guys you have left...American right? Hispanics would be all over that kinda overtime. Tell them you are the boss. Your business, your rules. Suck it up or go to 7-11 and see if they are hiring.

3. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

They are busting ass, doing the work of two other guys . Is that right? If it is pay them the other guys pay too. If you don't you might loose two more.

4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I am curious, how many hours a week were they working before the other 2 guys quit? How many hours were the 2 that quit working? What was your total payroll before they quit?

5. ihatestumps

from ct

We've always worked 58. My total payroll was at 2550
    They do bust ass and I realize that I should compensate them but don't you think 500 a week a piece is a little overboard ? I'm working extra too. I was going to give them an extra 2.00 a hour. Thats around 130 with the OT. I definitely can't afford to lose these guys.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Are you paying them for their overtime (time and a half)or just paying them straight rate?

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

These guys could soon hold you hostage " We will quit if you dont pay us more" and like you said you cant lose them . My suggestion is dont raise their pay , give them a bonus each week , that way you are not committed to keep paying them a higher hourly rate. If you are giving them 18 hours overtime plus you working the same 18 hours , thats 54 man hours , and at time and a half thats equal to 81 hours of pay. I would still try to hire at least 1 person so that the guys and yourself dont burn out too quick .

8. ihatestumps

from ct

I give them time and a half after 40. We work from 7:30 to 5:30 mon-fri and 7:30 - 3:30 on sat.

9. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a little off the subject but what kind of equipment do you have??

10. ihatestumps

from ct

I have 2 Z's both 60", 2 Turf Tracers and a Metro , all Exmark. I have three trucks and two trailers but one of them isn't wide enough for the Z so I usually take a sulky with me and let my guys have the 2 riders and a sulky, they do most of the big accounts out of town. And the Metro, well, that piece of junk stays home.