Fairy Ring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric ELM, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

For you that haven't seen a fairy ring, I saw 2 yesterday, one on each side of the street and I took a picture of one. Neither are on our customers lawns. To learn more about Fairy Ring, here is a search link.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=1442

[​IMG]

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

You may see a fairy ring, I see a UFO landing site!

:)

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

That's a crop circle.

4. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to have to agree with guido on this one, after all he is in the Air Force, and they are the ones who investigate such things!

Okay, Eric fire up the Chopper and get after them.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Lots of fairy ring here in Alberta...you have to be very careful not to spread it...I have to bleach the machines after each yard...is it really something new to you guys...I will be experimenting this year in a customers yard that had it when i toke over..... I need to punch holes in it add dishsoap a water the heck out of it...it really is a SOB of a thing...good luck in 2001

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

While we're on the subject, I saw one for the first time ever last year on an adjacent property of one of my customers. Should I be worried about getting it at my customer's property? Anything I should \ could do to make sure it doesn't travel to my lawn? I'll be driving there tomorrow, so now that this thread reminded me about it, I'm going to look to see if its still there. I'm 95% sure nothing was done about it last year. Does it go away by itself eventually? Thanks for any answers to my curiousity.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The guy that mows this lawn mows the one across the street. It does look like it can spread, but if it was from the mower or something else, I do not know. I just saw this and thought I would post a picture I took of it so others can identify it.

8. kris

from nowhere

It does not go away by itself.... it will first turn a bright green and then it dies(the grass)...it is almost like the "common cold" everyone has something you can take but nothing really cures it... you can dig it out,you have to dig about 18 inches , being very careful not to drop any dirt etc on any other parts of the lawn,even then it is not 100%guarenteed...Something else you can try is digging some up from one and putting it in the other...they are very territorial and don't like that(again...not 100%)..I already told you about the dishsoap thing...
    I will be experimenting this year...I have the OK from customer...I will let you know how I make out if interested.
    PS..If you are going over and looking at one ..be careful..Mix a little bit of bleach with water in a spray bottle and spray it on the bottom of your boots after.
    good luck in 2001

9. kris

from nowhere

thanks plymouthvaliant