fakahatchee grass

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by gunsnroses, Jun 5, 2013.

1. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

I am not in Florida, but hey I am not far. I know yall are sensitive about this clubhouse... My question is about the Florida native fakahatchee grass. We have thousands at my place of employment, and we have an chance to do work that otherwise is out of the question. Usually when these get cut back, it is with mechanical pruners in the winter. We will be able this summer to bush hog these areas if we like, mostly cordgrass and fakahatchee...Does anyone here have experience with cutting these back or bush hogging mid summer, with any ill effects or not?

cheers :drinkup:

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure about a Bush Hog. But I seen guys chop ornamental grass to the ground with a power Hedge Clipper, only to have them come back strong.

3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some I cut to the ground with gas hedgers every spring, I doubt you will do it any harm.

4. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

make sure the blades are good and sharp; don't hack at it, trim it to a ball.

5. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

thanks,

A small area was cut with bush hog over the winter and they are fine. They will get chewed up when mowed....that is kinda the issue, they will get cut low, or lower (and hacked) more than usual, in late July. The problem with doing them nicely, is time. An open chance to cut them mid summer without initial visual complaints, they will have time to come back before they will be seen again. The time saver is the bush hog, as there is probably about 50,000 of these that are 14 years old. In a perfect world we would burn them every winter. I will report back if we have ill effects of bush hogging mid summer. I am betting they will be fine, just curious if anyone had past experience with a similar situation.