Fall advertising

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardboyltd, Aug 14, 2001.

1. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone try and get yards in the fall for next year? My uncle says he does it and works, but he's retiree and limits the yards he gets so I don't the full potential of the idea.

What I was thinking was launch a targeted advertising campaign end of Sept. Send out flyers, through door-to-door and mailers, and follow ups. I'd advertise about reserving a lawn service for next season and fall cleanups.

If they decided to go with me I'd give them a call before mowing season started, just about the time co.'s start advertisng and remind them.

Good points: Gives you a prelimanary response of the type of equipment your going to need next season. Gets your name out there(always good). Could land you another job till the end of the season.

Bad points: "Reservers"(couldn't think of better word, and no my service isn't in demand like it sounds :) have likely chance they don't want to go with you when spring rolls around. Fall advertising may be discarded or less effective(don't know).

You could always have them sign a intent agreement to remind them they decided to go with you. Be good if someone decided in the fall to go with you and they forgot. Would just be a bluff not actually binding contract.

What do you guys think? Anyone tried this?

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

I really see positive AND negative points to this...

3. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else?

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

just wait... they will see it

5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm planning on targeting some commercial accounts this Fall. I figure I'll send out a "request for an invitation to Bid" in the form of a flyer - may not get any responses, but it might be good preliminary work for next season.

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I had posted this earlier today.
    After 5:00, this evening I got a call from one of two flyers I mailed out just a few days ago. The man told me they are planning on bidding out their lawn next year instead of continuing to do it themselves.
    I may still not get it, but I will be the first to bid on it - and if I hadn't sent out that flyer now, next spring might would have been too late.

7. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I would just advertise big time for fall cleanups. Every time you do a cleanup, offer your services to the homeowner for next year. You may or may not get the maintenance account, but you will have their phone number and address and can contact them again in February. Hope this helps

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Fall is a very good time for searching out new commercial accounts. I think for the residential, send out your advertisment the very first time it warms up a little. This warm up makes people cringe about doing their grass for the next year, and it will jog their memory to the grass needing a professional to take care of it. Some of the nicer area's I would send at the fall and just before next season starts. You might get some cleanups from a customer tired of the unprofessional LCO, or even some new accounts all together, giving you the edge for next season.

9. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

I'm planning on sending some out this fall because alot of commercial places decide on who gets thier bids around January here so if you don't send some out you may be too late.